Sunday, January 15, 2006

Learning Experience

Ok, so this bag is a major learning experience! I finished the rectangle bottom last night - see below.



So, this morning I decided I was going to start the actual bag part, which required me to pick up stitches. Actually the pattern called for "pick up and knit twisted" Ok, let me get on my soap box for a moment - who ever writes these patterns needs to use language that when I do a google search for how to "pick up and knit twisted" I will find something. Ok, so anyway I found a video on how to pick up stitches; between the video and my Stich'n Bitch book I figured that out. Then I called Lotus Knits who bless her heart tried to explain to me what they meant by knit twisted, but my limited understanding of knitting and the fact that sometimes I just have dumb moments made the explanation via telephone difficult. She did however give me some terms to look up on the internet that explained it a little bit more. Too say the least this was a 2 hour endeavor; I did however get the 100 stitches that the pattern called for picked up; I can only hope I picked them up correctly! Here is a pic of the 100 stitches having been picked up and one row knitted - then I just had to take a break.


I hope I've done it correctly - time shall tell. I have found that I am a person who does not really enjoy challenges - they merely frustrate me. I know that is horrible and that I should enjoy learning new things, but I enjoy knowing the new thing not the learning there of. I am trying to stick with knitting cause I know if I do and I really learn how to become more advanced I will enjoy it just like I enjoy making the scarves, but getting to that point is frustrating. I will not give up though - I will preserver and this bag is going to look great by Golly! Or it may end up looking like a hat, but hey I'm trying.

One thing I have learned thru this is that I'm going to have to find a knitting group in the area to join. Which I want to do cause I think it would give me a chance to make some great new friends, but I'm not good at meeting new people and my schedule is hectic and it's going to get more hectic when I start my new job on the 30th. We shall see - we shall see.

Sorry, I didn't post last night. We were playing Evercrack and by time we decided to log it was late. Tee Hee - I was knitting the bottom of my bag between pulls :) Also, during our many battles Sox, who is normally our standoffish kitty decided to come get lovin. He was sitting on my lap while we were playing; here are some pics. He is so cute.



By the way my Canon Digital Rebel which is being used to take these knitting pictures is insulted. I hear it telling me "Woman - what are you doing! I am The Camera - the one you waited for and you are using me to take pictures of your knitting projects, which by the way you have a long way to go and your kitties! You should be outside using me to capture the wonderful world of nature. I am the camera you use to capture majestic waterfalls, fields of wildflowers, the birds soaring high above you, not your kitties being lazy!" Bah, I like my kitties and my knitting and I will use use Mr. Camera for what ever I want. However, I do need to get out more and take some quality photos instead of sitting in this house/work day after day. I need to exercise my photogenic muscles :) Here is a shot I got during a family barbecue. I think it's my fav; hard to tell I like so many.

I bought some glass to make some custom home made frames with. I'm going to take a bunch of my favorite shots, frame them and hang them thru out the house. I just think that will be neat to have my home decorated with my artwork! That's not an immediate goal as I have way to much going on right now and the frames take a good chunk of time to make but eventually.

I think I'm going to go grab some tennis shoes and go for my walk, or I may just go get lost in a novel. Who knows I may just go back to sleep. Tee Hee. Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

LotusKnits said...

Your bag is looking great!!

And that photo is just amazing!

Andy said...

The fav photos a re a good idea. I may have to do that also.

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...