Friday, January 20, 2006

Self Reflection

Well, today was my last day at work. When leaving any position I believe it wise to look back and see if there was anything I could have done differently to make it better, to make it "the" position. This requires a brutal honesty that is hard to swallow and most people including myself do not appreciate most of the time. However, I consider it a value learning tool and so here goes:

1) I could have listened more. Listened to the background on the accounts more.
2) I could have made a more conscious attempt to try and remember the small things.
3) I could have been less defensive and taken criticism better.
4) I could have been more detail oriented and looked for the small things.

Yes, there are things I could have done better. Now would my having changed or done things differently increased my level of happiness in the position? When really thinking about this question I have to say no - I hated what I was doing. My boss while nice as a person was an absolutely horrible boss who appreciated nothing. And when put simply I was not getting paid enough for the emotional stress the job placed on me.

I did however learn a great deal about how big business works and I learned a lot about myself. Unfortunately you have to try something before you know if it is for you. I tried and found that I like smaller business who treat you like family. I like to know that my boss appreciates what I do and that he/she cares about me as a person. I like to be empowered to make decisions and do not appreciate someone micro-managing me. I want to work somewhere I enjoy and life is simply too short not to. Next week I am taking off and then on the 30th of January I start a new position at a small brokerage/agency in Canton Georgia. It is about 46 miles one way and the pay is less, but they are going to let me work flex hours and I can work from home one day a week after I get trained. I know the people and the environment is more my style.

I think it is going to be a good fit, I hope and pray it will be a good fit, I need it to be a good fit. 2005 was a rough year for me professionally, I need to find a job that fits me. I need to be happy professionally, because when you are not happy at work it makes it difficult to be happy at home. No, I'm not thinking or expecting everyday to be a stress free happy day, but I do want a job that I enjoy at least 85% of the time. Here is me praying I've found it.

Reflection Over :)

My assignment that was due tonight has been turned in. Now I have to do my two sections of the group assignment. I have to have it turned in tomorrow by noon. We also have to go to Jack's nieces 1 year birthday party tomorrow. I'm hoping to squeeze some EQ in there somewhere but I'm not sure how that's going to work out. But Sunday and next week watch out EQ I'm coming !!!!

I on row 16 of my scarf. I had to do some back tracking and the fact that school has been so busy has made it slow going, but it's looking good and I'm enjoying the process. I'll get to knit some tomorrow on the ride to the party (2 hours one way) so hopefully I'll get some good work done.

Thanks for listening blog land. I wish you dreams of fluffy clouds and chocolate dipped ice cream cones!

3 comments:

Mylerna said...

LOL, I'm really hoping to make it on tonight after the party. Right now I'm trying to get my group assignment done...I have 1 1/2 hours before the deadline - wish me luck!

LotusKnits said...

How was the party? I hate I missed it, and I need to call them tomorrow...

I'm such a dork!

Oh, and so glad you have some time off to relax before your next job starts! Enjoy it!

*hugs*

Mylerna said...

It was a party for a 1 year old....need I say more??

Tee Hee - we had to leave fairly early so I could get back and finish my assignment. 1/2 of it was late, but so was everyone elses so I'm not stressing it. It was good to see everyone though.

Well, I think I'm going to play EQ for a while. Chat at you later.

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...