Monday, January 31, 2011

Yesterday's Food Experiment

Well, yesterday was a super busy day, but blessed. I started yesterday at 6:30 and didn't stop till I went to bed at 9:30! But with God's help I got everything done on my list.

Mama and I went to church at The Sanctuary, Jack was having issues with a Kidney Stone and had to stay home (he is feeling much better now). Both of us really liked the service, you could certainly tell God showed up! The church is extremely large though, over 700 people. I've never gone to a large church and think I would miss the connections. Of course you are connected as you want to be, so ... We are going to try it a few more times and pray about it. God has the right church for us and he will let us know if this is it.

We then about our day. Had our "treat" lunch at Chili's! yummy. I had a ton of running around to do and got all of it accomplished. Question blogland - what grocery store do you use? I've changed from Publix to Walmart and/or Foodlion due to prices. But I don't like Foodlion's veggie's (not very appealing) and their meat dept doesn't have a lot of options and Walmart is lacking in options on everything else so I end up having to go to both, which isn't fun. Anyone have a great, affordable grocery store they use?

After my grocery store run(s) I came home to continue our experiment into healthy cooking.

First I made a breakfast bread for the week. Blueberry Orange Bread I cooked it like the instructions said except I used "olive oil" and I didn't do the glaze at all. It gets 5 stars on both ease and yumminess! Plus now I have it to eat on all week for breakfast. Next time I make it I'm going to substitute wheat flour, but I wanted to try it once w/o messing with it too much :) Note - Walmart doesn't sale the Fiber One cereal it calls for.

Next came dinner.

-Rosemary, Lemon Herb Chicken Dish - It was edible and I will finish it as my lunch left over, but it was a pain to make and it was super bland. I don't recommend it.

-Zucchini Saute - Ease was 4 out of 10, only due to timing. Yumminess 4 out of 5. This one will go into the keeper basket as a healthy good side. I liked the flavor. Note though, use a spaghetti pot, not a skillet. 4 zucchini take up a lot of room.

- Salad - Always a winner
- Pumpernickel Bread
- Sweet Tea

I also cooked breakfast yesterday.

- French toast (using Honey-Oat Bread) - *****
- Apple / Raisin Topping from a cookbook I have (1 cup Applesauce, 1/3 cup raisins, tablespoon Cinnamon, stir it up and put in microwave for a 2 min till warm). Yummy, super easy. I could eat this by itself or on top of French Toast/Pancakes/Etc...
- Scrambled Eggs w/ cheese
- Smoked Sausage
- Coffee

Ease of dishes 2 out of 10. Yumminess 5 out of 5.

And just for tracking - I had the Chips and Salsa + Chicken Fajitas at Chili's with Water.

I'm still enjoying this cooking adventure. Tonight is a shrimp dish :) Wish me luck!

Have a great day blogland!

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...