Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend Bliss

This weekend has been nice so far, no stress - just doing some things on my list, piddling and enjoying the fact that I can.

Yesterday I woke up SUPER early @ 4:30 and just couldn't sleep so figured, get up. I made a rambled blog and then to begin research our new eating style some more, I want to make sure we are doing this right, but at the same time I'm not at the point where I'm going to go insane.

I.E. - Whole Milk, love it, will probably drink it till I die
- Sugar (refined) - Yes its not great for you and I'm going to try and cut it out of food I buy (i.e. - no hamburger helper - I mean geash, what does that need sugar in it for), but I'm not changing to a splinda or anything at this time. We don't cook with it too much and I'll try to reduce it in what I buy processed but... I love my sugar.

But I can swap to 100% whole grain foods (be sure and learn how to read the packages apparently the co that sell it to us can be "friendly with their words") and I can cook with olive oil, change to light butter, light mayo/salad dressings, eat more veggies, have fruit around for snacks vs. Little Debbie's and know what goes into our body.

So that is what we are doing. It's fun to learn how and honestly I'm really enjoying the experience. Next week is Mama's week to cook and I need to replace a couple items in her kitchen, not fair to ask her to replace it since we are the ones that want her to use them. While she takes the reins I'll be figuring out what is on the agenda for the following week.

Tomorrow we have our "health" assessment at the gym. Wish us luck. They are going to help us develop something for us and teach me how to use the machines. We got 6 free sessions with the membership and I'm looking forward to getting really started.

And with that I'll leave you with yesterday's foodie update. God bless you on this Sunday morning. May God reach down and touch you where you are in a mighty way. Love you and see you on the flip side.

Also note - Do you have a healty recipe you love? If so please share :)

Breakfast
- Eggs scrambled with cheese and red bell peppers (I put a little milk in) - **** - Very good, though next time I may add another veggie too for a bit more flavor. Jack really liked it but also thought another veggie may be good.
- Smoked Sausage, pan heated (no oil added) - ***** - Ok so not healthy, but I'm not planning on cutting out red meat, just may buy leaner cuts and it tasted super yummy.
- Honey Oat Bread - ***** - Note Jack doesn't want his toasted in the future.

Ease to Cook 3 out 10, too long for weekdays, but great for the weekend.

Lunch
- Salad - ***** - Based on research I changed our salad up a bit, added more color: Iceberg/Romain/Red Cabbage/Cucumber/Red Bell Pepper/Green BellPepper - I Loved the new textures. Will go this way from now on. I also top mine with cheese. Tried a new "fat free" honey dijon mustard dressing that was really good. - FYI I make a really big bowl so it last us a few days.
- Ham Sandwich with Cheese - ***** - Super easy and always a fav. - I'm making the transition to wheat bread and had 1/2 sandwich on 100% Whole Wheat and 1 on Honey Oat. I can eat the whole wheat and it is good so we will begin to transition over to that for future meals after we eat what we have.

Dinner
- Salad - *****
- Baked Potatos w/ Light Butter and Cheese - *****
- Steak marinated in Dale Sauce - ***** - I may move to the reduced sodium Dale Sauce, have't tried it. We both love this marinade though so it may have to be an unhealthy staple. The sodium in it is out of this world. We did both only eat 1/2 a steak and found that it was more than enough food. Amazing how you don't need ad much as you think sometimes, plus now I have steak for today.
- Pumpernickle Bread - ***** - Toasted

Not new at all but easy easy meal to cook - Always a Win in my household.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...