Friday, June 30, 2017

Texas Adventure Day 14

6/30/17

Today was good - tiring but good!

We got up super early so we could avoid the heat of the day.   There was not a luggage cart available so we ended up carting the down one by one, but the bell boys were extremely helpful and didn't make me nervous as they normally do I was happy about that.  It was cute - the guy thought they had broken our truck because the top was loose and I just hadn't latched it down.

Anyway, after we got'er loaded we headed out to breakfast.  We did the same place as yesterday because it was yummy and my research hasn't netted a ton of good breakfast places in San Antonio, so let's go with what we know.   BTW I'm so glad we left the car at the hotel yesterday -- parking here is expensive.   It was $12 for 2 hours to park for breakfast... I had dropped everyone off and ended up driving around for like 15 minutes looking for parking so finally I gave in and paid out the arse.

We had breakfast, which was fabulous and then headed to the San Antonio missions.  There are 4 of them (5 including The Alamo) and they were amazing.   We spent a good 3 maybe 4 hours looking at them (including drive time).  I loved seeing them - highlight of the trip for me so far.   It was also nice we were able to get back in the truck between each one so we could cool off as it was super hot today.

After the Missions we headed back into town and ate at What-A-Burger (where I paid another $12 for parking).   Then I got the bright idea to save a little $ and take the hop on and off trolley to the Tower of the Americas.   What I didn't realize is that it drops you 1/2 a mile from the tower - in 100 degree heat.   To say the least I was not happy.  We wait 15 minutes for this trolley, in the shade, but still in the heat.  Then we get on it, you can't understand her and the girls say she had a super annoying voice - then they drop us a 1/2 mile from the place??????

Anyway, we get there and go in because we have tickets already.   Only to be told I have to go wait in line, in the heat, to exchange my tickets for wrist bands.  Can you say annoying????   Then we go up in this 750 foot tower in an elevator with 20 people in it. I hate crowds... Amanda hates heights and was apparently freaking out about the ride up. I was looking down trying not to have a panic attack due to the crowds.

Once we got up there and escaped I was not impressed.   I've been on much taller buildings and had no ill affects, but something about this made me feel "off" I was ready to get down almost immediately.  We did teh walk around and then we went down.  Before I knew it Mama said she wanted to do a 4D movie and I followed her in... not thinking about how 3D movies make me have headaches.   It was horrible - I ended up standing up part way through to avoid vomiting, but Mama loved it and the girls seemed to semi- enjoy it so yay.

I knew Mama would not be able to do the 1/2 mile hike back and I had no interest in it myself so I requested a Lyft and then walked to what we thought was the parking lot to find her.  Only we went into a federal court house parking lot and she couldn't find us.  So here we are in 100 degree heat with a woman who can barely breath with cool temps much less heat trying to find a car.   We were standing there with me talking to the Lyft driver when a golf cart cop came by. I flagged him down  - had him explain to the Lyft driver where he would meet us and proceeded to take Mama by golf cart.  We followed on foot - I can't tell you how grateful I was for him.  

Once we found the Lyft driver she drove us back to our car and I promptly left San Antonio.  My car said 110 degrees... no joke.  Even after driving and having the air to cool it off it said 104.  It was insanely hot today and I was super tired / sleepy from the heat and irritation.

We drove the 2 hours to Corpus  Christi (stopping for a Walmart run).  Once we got here my mood did not improve  I went to check in and they told me I could not because William Dale was not with me.   Keep in mind, this is city # 5 or 6 at this point and all of the reservations have been in his name.   I explained to them that it was impossible to see him as he is in GA and they proceeded to tell me I couldn't check in.  I was 2 second from going ballistic, which I believe the manager saw when they had the bright idea for me to call my husband and have him give him permission.  Which I did.... Jack could tell by my voice  I was about to loose it and I think he told them a thing or two when he spoke to them as it was much longer than a simple "yes".  

Anyway, I got checked in, got 2 free beer/wine (that I don't drink) out of the deal and then we unloaded the car.   After the car was unloaded I was soaking wet with sweat so I came up stairs to cool down and get ready for some beach/pool time.

The girls and I headed down to the beach ... I stopped at the bar first and got an untasty drink and then we were on our way.  I walked with the girls for a few minutes, but they needed their teenage time and I was a 3rd wheel so I headed up to sit by the pool and read.   The pool is not as nice as I had hoped and they had alive band playing.  The band was good, but I would have preferred the quiet...   Eventually the girls came back and they invited me into the hot tub.  That was nice and I did enjoy the rest of the evening... but I'm hoping tomorrow goes better than this afternoon did.

P.S. this hotel probably hates me by now.  I've called down for towels, pillows and the bug that was in our room.  All separate calls, the bug one was probably the funniest for the though.   "UM excuse me - there is a gigantic black bug in my room.  Come get it" in the full girl squeak...   I thought the bug was a palmetto bug and I was not paying $300 a night to sleep with Palmetto bugs... it ended up being a cricket that the guy couldn't catch, but Mama later ended up killing.

Everyone is now settling down for the night and we are getting up at 5 AM to go see the turtle hatch-ling release; then I'm coming back and sleeping most of the day.   Sleep well blogland!

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...