Sunday, June 18, 2017

Texas Adventure Day 2

6/18

Today was a extremely full day - it started at 8:30 and it's 12:41 AM on 6/19 as I'm typing this, but it was really good overall.

First we got up, got dressed and were ready to start packing the truck by 8:30.  This was my first day packing it solo and it was a job and 1/2, but I did manage to successfully put the jigsaw of our luggage together and while there may have not been room for even a small insect when we were done it fit.   I did have to get a gentleman to help me pull the straps down for the truck bed cover, they take a ton of upper arm strength that I just do not have.

The same gentleman that helped with that also apparently wanted to pursue a further relationship with Amanda, he thought she was cute.   However, she declined and the day went on... LOL.  What it is to be a teenage girl again and have guys hit on you.  I don't miss being a teenager, but there aspects that would be nice to go back and repeat - hee.

Well, anyway after the rebuff we went into the dining area to grab some breakfast.  It looked OK, but I really wanted a sit down place and the food just didn't look appetizing so we decided to go out.   I had a restaurant option pre-chosen from my research so we checked out and were on our way.  Now keep in  mind we are in Selma, AL this morning.  The deep south and apparently they are the definition of the bible belt, because everything was closed this Sunday morning - including my chosen restaurant.

So we diverted to a fast food joint called Jack's.  It was actually pretty good and the coffee was decent.  I was having a rough morning due to not sleeping well last night and the coffee put some much  needed "goodness" in my morning and made me where I could be tolerated by the others.

We then left and headed down to Brown Chapel AME Church and King Monument.  They were people entering to have church and it is right across from some apartments with people out on their porches so we felt a little out of place, but I felt it important to see these historical places.  Selma has one of the most known acts of violence against black people and it should be remember so that it will never be repeated.  I think it's important to honor those protesters sacrifice and see the places that were important to them.  So uncomfortable or not we got out of the car to see the outside of it and take some pictures.

This church is where the Selma to Montgomery march was organized.  It was a key organizational hub for the black rights movement.  The outside of it is brick with some white brick and it isn't a particularly pretty structure, but it is important none the less.  The gentleman handing out bulletins to the church goers was nice enough to give us one as we were passing and invited us in.   Now keep in mind we are in shorts and flip flops, but he still invited us to attend his service.  That is what all churches should be doing.  We politely declined, but the impact he made was substantial.  I didn't feel uncomfy anymore and he knew we were there to honor the history.

Once we left there we headed over to Old Live Oak Cemetery.  We spent a good 30 minutes meandering the grounds, each going about our own way.   This cemetery is so pretty!  The moss on the trees, the old headstones, it is just amazing!  I loved walking around taking pictures of it and could have spent more time there if the bugs weren't so bad (even with bug repellent).

Upon leaving the cemetery we drove to Church street.  I got out and took pictures of a few of the churches as they were very pretty while the others rested in the A/C of the car.  We then went down to the Old Train Depot end of water street and took some pictures.  The entire town is closed on Sunday so it was deserted - it felt like a ghost town.  Some of the stores were also out of business and empty which helped with this feeling. We walked down to the river front park and took pictures in of the Edmund Pettus Bridge from side and also played on the playground (which was quite funny).

We then drove down a bit and I got pictures of the St. James Hotel, which as an interesting structure.  However, when I got back in the car and drove a bit further - I had not taken pictures of the Hotel, but some other building entirely as this as the hotel so I stopped again.  It was rather funny - now I have pictures of some random building and the hotel :)

Our last stop in Selma was the bridge itself.   Where the protesters were so brutally attacked for demanding their rights in a peaceful way.   We took some pictures and there was a man their explaining history so we chatted with him a bit.  We also bought a book he was selling on the history of Selma, if for no other reason than he was man enough to stand out in that heat without withering to sell his books.  

I had planned to go to the museum but it was closed.  By extension we accidentally missed seeing the voting rights monuments and park attached to the museum :(  I would like to have seen them.    We then left for lunch, but being Selma on a Sunday it was closed so we decided to eat sandwiches at our next destination and moved on.

We drove to Old Chawba.  Old Chawba is the original capital of Alabama and it was a major port town.  Now it is nothing but architectural ruins and depressions in the ground of what used to be.   No one really knows why it was abandoned which is why I wanted to see it.  When we got there we checked in with the visitors center and then had a picnic in front of a really old church.  The church looked like something out of a witches movie and the niece's had a good time joking about it.

We then drove into the city.  I don't know what I was expecting, but there were only a few ruins - most of it was fields with signs telling you what was there.  I was a little disappointed in it, but then I think about the fact that this was a thriving city, a state capital, and this is all that is left of it?  It amazes me - even if I did want to see a falling down building or two.  One of the things that made me sad was the "new cemetery".  It is in disrepair and needs some upkeep and for them to remove some junk (bleachers, etc...) that has been put back there.  I hope whomever is running the park does that quickly.

After driving around the city a bit more we headed on to New Orleans.   When we went to leave we realized there was no signal for the phone, therefore no GPS.   I am very lucky that I printed the Google Map directions and also had the AAA directions so we were able to make do.  Kaylee navigated and I drove.   I'll be honest it was a little unnerving without the GPS or my music (I hate silence in a car with people - I hear all every small sound they make), but we did it and I was really grateful to God for giving me the foresight to print some directions.

Once we were back to the GPS land Mama mentioned we should avoid 10 and go 90 if we want to see something other than interstate.   So I looked at the map and thought it would be about 30 or 40 minutes out of our way to pick up 90 out of GulfPort MS so we started driving that way.  I think I probably miscalculated that time, but the experience was worth it.

When we got to GulfPort the view was so nice and the beach so white.  We stopped  - walked the beach for a few - stuck our toes in the warm water and just enjoyed ourselves for a few minutes before heading on.   We drove 90 for about 20 miles before it started getting too dark to see anything and then I followed the GPS to the quickest way to our hotel.  By this time it was 8:30 PM and everyone was ready to be out of the car.

So we arrived here around 9:30 or 10, unloaded and proceeded to do the nightly routine.  I was organizing while the nieces got showers and as I sit and type this everyone else is snoozing.  I seem to be the only night owl in the bunch.     I kept Kaylee up with the light :(   Hope she is OK tomorrow... I moved the floor next to the bathroom after I got a shower and stuff so hopefully this little bit of light isn't bothering her.   I'm about to cut it off anyway - it's after 1 AM here and I need sleep myself.   Tomorrow we explore New Orleans and we start our day promptly at 9.

Sleep well blogland.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...