Saturday, June 17, 2017

Texas Adventure Day 1 Part 2

6/17/17

Well we didn't stay in.   Kaylee and I visited some while Mama and Amanda slept, then we woke them up at 6:30 and headed out.

We drove down to a neighborhood we had passed, parked and walked around.  There was one building that looked like it may have been an inn at one time.  It was obviously empty and in disrepair, but it had a quality to it.  A eerie feeling that was fascinating.   The other houses in the neighborhood had been redone and were old Southern Mansions that have been brought back to life.   The area was obviously historic as there were placards marking historic homes and some with signs explaining the history, but people gave us odd looks as we were walking around.  I'll be honest despite the very clean neighborhood and the fancy houses I was very watchful of my people and our surroundings - It didn't scream safe neighborhood, but it should have from looking at it.  Just a feeling I guess - or maybe it was the run down houses/businesses right down the road we had passed... not sure.  Despite my "feelings" we had no incidents and enjoyed looking at the houses.  The bugs had started to come out in the dusk though and they were biting so we headed on out.

We stopped by Walmart, where I did purchase a replacement cooler.  It seemed each of us had at least one item to buy.  But, let's talk about this Walmart.  The construction looked new, but it wasn't as large as the one we have at home.   The isles were dirty - I mean stuff strewn everywhere and well just in disarray.  They had 3 checkout lanes open and they were backed up down the isles... it was ridiculous!

One thing waiting in line did give me time to notice though - every one seemed to know everyone.  All around me people were greeting each other and having brief conversations before going about their day.   It is something  you don't see many places and it warmed my heart.

We then grabbed some fuel for the truck and headed back to the hotel.  We did our Bible Study time together, chatted a bit and now I sit and type in this freezing cold hotel room (thanks to Mama) as the girls and her sleep, or at least try to.

I also have enjoyed the nieces today.  I have of course known them all their lives, but they are becoming young women now and it's nice to get to know that part of them.   The grown part that tells stories and has interest I can relate to.   I hope they enjoy the trip and I hope we continue to get to know one another as adults.

Its time for me to join the rest of the team for some shut eye.  Sleep well blog land.


No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...