Monday, June 26, 2017

Texas Adventure Day 10

6/26/2017

Today was mostly a travel day, but we did see a few things that I want to remember so I'll recount them here.

First we got up, got dressed and then grabbed breakfast at the hotel.  Holiday Inn Express has a good breakfast some days and I love their cinnamon rolls.     We then loaded up and headed over to Sandra's to drop Murrell off and visit for a few minutes before leaving.  I didn't get to visit with Sandra or Vicki very much this trip and it was my first time meeting Sandra.   They are supposed to come to the house in a few weeks to bring Murrell for her annual summer visit so I'm hoping to get to know them some more then.

We then had to leave, which was hard for Mama, but we can't stay forever so ... off we went.   Today was mainly a drive to Austin which was about 6 hours away, but we broke it up by stopping in Corsicana.   There was a pioneer village that was on the AAA things to do list and I told the nieces not to get excited... glad I did!

It was a replica of an old pioneer village crammed into maybe a 1/4 acre lot.  Most of the buildings were extremely musty and the lady we paid for our tickets with looked surprised to have guest.   There was some things that were worth remembering though:

  • They had a "Lefty" museum that was a nice surprise.  He was a country music star and there were neat pictures and memorabilia that were neat to see.
  • There was an old out of tune piano that looked kind of neat.
  • There were some really old creepy dolls... the stuff horror movies are made of.
  • The had a building filled with old pictures from the town.  It was not climate controlled so I hope they have copies as these will not last long :(
  • Amanda tried to brand Mama with an old cattle prod.
  • Mama climbed up in a tree at 72 years of age - I was worried.   
  • I climbed up in a tree to make her happy..... I'm insane.
  • She wanted to climb into the stage coach, but I thought it would fall down ... so No.

After that Amanda and I went to find a bathroom while Mama and Kaylee went to take pictures of some flowers.   The bathroom was difficult to find and a nice gentleman playing basket ball told us where it was.  He also said I had pretty eyes and I said thank you... a few minutes later I realized he was talking to Amanda, oops!

We then made sandwiches and ate them in the truck as it was just too hot to sit outside at a picnic table!  Sweat was pouring down my back from the little walking we did :(

After that we left Corsicana and drove the remaining 2.5 hours to Austin.  We are staying in a Crowne Plaza a little outside the city and it is nice.  The valet offered to help us with the bags, but I felt subconscious about the sheer # of bags we have so I did it... I should have let him help.   I am going to be muscle bound by time we get home from lifting these things all of the time.  

We then settled into our room, got baths, rested, and were up and out again.

We went and ate at a local Tex Mex restaurant that was amazing.  I had a skirt steak meal that was melt in your mouth good.   I wanted to wash the truck after dinner, but everything had closed so that will have to wait for another day.   I also needed to get a new Compact flash for my computer, but Best Buy didn't sale them - Can you believe that?  So I needed up buying a card reader given I left mine at home so that I could empty my 32 GB card.... I'm getting a couple of 100GB cards for Europe this year!

Anyway... we ran our errands and came back to the hotel.  It was getting late + it had started storming so I was glad to get back.   We have a jam packed day of touring tomorrow so I'll get off of here now. Sleep well blogland :)

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...