Thursday, June 29, 2017

Texas Adventure Day 13

6/29/17

Today was awesome!  We packed a ton in and had a good time doing it.

We got up this morning and went to a local German restaurant for breakfast.  While it wasn't the best I've ever had it was the best we've had in what seems like weeks for breakfast so win!

After this we walked down to the visitors center to get our hop on / off bus tour tickets and to see the Alamo.  We stood in the short line and visited the Alamo, it was neat and I was a little disappointed they did not allow photos (without flash) inside as my favorite part of visiting places is taking pictures, but we had a good time.    We then bought a few souvenirs - Mama went to go to the restroom and the girls to get a drink.  Once we had reconnected, after several phone calls to locate one another we were on the bus tour.

The bus tour was ok, certaintly not the best I've been on, but I love the hop on/off feature.  The problem was the A/C section (downstairs) had advertising all over the windows so you couldn't really see out, much less take a picture and the upstairs was really hard for people to navigate + it was really hot today.  I think we may have been competing with Hell itself when it comes to temperature.... so not good for Mama at all.  I'll be saying something on their review for sure.   The guides though were nice - some used the recorded narration and others talked, both were good.

The first stop we was the Scottish Rite Cathedral.  It wasn't open, but we got to take a few pictures from the outside.      We then grabbed a quick bite to eat at a local place similar to a Barberitoes.   It was yummy and the A/C was pumping so we lingered a bit.      The heat down here is absolutely killer!

Let me add a side note about the restaurant. We originally went to another one - walked in and began to sit down... there was a roach crawling on the floor so we turned around, told the lady she needed to do something about her bug problem and left.    It was hot, but not hot enough for me to eat there.

Then we went down to St. Mary's Catholic church and took some pictures - it was odd as there seemed to be no one in the church yet the doors were open... very odd.  After this we split up.  The girls went to the mall and Mama and I came back to the room.

Once back in the room I took a short nap before I headed out solo to do some more exploring.  Mama needed to lay down a bit.   I ended up just going souvenir shopping, but it was nice to be solo for a few and just "be" without worrying about the others.     I bought the girls some tank tops and Mama some souvenirs before heading back to the bus.   On my way back the driver told me that my nieces (he think they are my daughters) were on the bus so I walked up and sat next to them.

I got off a stop earlier to go by the drug store and the girls headed on to the house.  After getting Mama's medicine I waited for the bus next to a construction worker who insisted this wasn't hot... he's insane!     The bus then took me back to the hotel and I came in to get a shower and freshen up before dinner.    I also took the opportunity to pack up as tomorrow we leave this beautiful city.

We then headed out again.  I grabbed us a Lyft driver to take us down to the mall area where we could catch the river boat cruise.  It was a 30 minute cruise along the river walk to show it too you and let you ride in the boat.  It was a little cramped, but our driver was entertaining and it showed us some of the places/shortcuts which was nice.     We also got to see some of the city we would have not seen otherwise so yay!

We then headed down to find a restaurant.  There was a very helpful and overly friendly volunteer that recommended the Lone Star Diner... so after some debate we went there.   Kaylee and I decided to split a steak and OMG!!!!  It was a 12 oz steak that I could have never eaten on my own, but I regret splitting it as I would have ate it.  It was the best steak EVER!!!!!  I want to move the chef to GA and eat at his restaurant.

We then caught a Lyft back to the hotel and are getting ready for bed.  We are getting a super early start tomorrow to try and beat some of the heat.... wish us luck.



No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...