Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Texas Adventure Day 4

6/20/17

Today was kind of a bust.  We got up to rain...   It was mainly drizzling so we headed out determined to get the most out of the day.   We drove to our restaurant of choice Cafe Fleur De Lis.    The food and service was good.  I had the french toast and it was yummy, not in my top 10, but excellent none the less and everyone else seemed to enjoy their food.  The coffee, however was too bitter for me.  I actually haven't had a cup all day as I had them exchange it -  shocked I  managed.

We then headed back over to the hop on / off parking lot and purchased tickets for the tour of St. Louis Cemetary # 1 where Marie Le Beu is buried.  At this point it was still just drizzling.... The tour starts in 30 minutes so we wonder the visitors area, use restrooms and get ourselves settled in.   We meet our tour guide, who happens to be the same one from the Garden City Tour yesterday and set off.  Then the rain comes... we were no more than 5 feet in and it started raining.  Not so bad you couldn't do it, but bad enough you couldn't enjoy it.  I took a few pictures - Mama held the umbrella over my camera.   But the longer we went the harder it started to rain and I'm not sure I heard anything that woman said as I was focused on my wet feet. ... Wait I did hear a couple of things to note:

  • XXX on tombstones has nothing to do with Voodoo, STOP defacing the graves.
  • Nicholas Cage built a triangle tomb there for when he passes away.  I think he loved his National Treasure part a bit too much.
  • They don't bury them above ground due to sea level... some are actual underground individual tombs.
  • Some of the tombs in the wall have sunken in and you can no longer access them as things sink in this city.
  • People are still actively buried in the cemetery and families often share an above ground tomb.
We got back in the visitors center after the tour and looked at each other.  Everyone was wet and miserable.  So we high tailed it back to the hotel to get dry and stay that way.  We ended up taking naps (all but Kaylee whom I'm sure was board) and woke up around 4 pm.  

We had cancelled our river cruise so that left the evening free... but it's still raining.   So, I found the BB King restaurant that had live music and the girls could get in.  So we went down, ate dinner and listened to the music.    The service was bad, but the food was good and the music was awesome.     The first band was enjoyable, but the second band we listened to was fabulous.  I felt bad taking their table so we didn't sit through the entire set, but wow!  The piano player played both Piano and Organ at the same time -it was amazing.  The main singer was and elderly black man that Mama would have run off with if she could have.  

We then headed back to the hotel and got here around 8:30.

Due to the tropical storm headed our way I have spent the past 3 hours re-planning our trip.  I don't want to be on the beach when the storm comes so I called and modified hotel reservations.   Then I went through and modified our agenda to meet the new dates/drive schedule.   It adds some drive time and is not as efficient, but we will enjoy it more.     We will be going to Little Rock tomorrow and will go back down through Austin/San Antonio / Padres Island next week after the storm has passed.   May I just give a shout out to IHG Hotel Brands.   I called and they were fabulous in helping me get the rooms modified and making sure we were properly taken care of!  She rocked.

And on that note - I need sleep!   I hope you are enjoying traveling with us virtually -more to come tomorrow!



No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...