Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Texas Adventure Day 5

6/21/17

Today was mainly a travel day.  As I mentioned yesterday we changed our schedule to come up North to try and avoid the storm.   We got up, packed our stuff up (which was a miracle in itself) and headed out.   I don't know I think I did something different last time, packing this morning was difficult and I wasn't sure I was going to get the truck to close, but it all worked out.   I do want to say we had two really nice gentlemen help us this morning, one offered and picked up our large suitcases, while the other one helped to close our truck cover.   People are so nice...

We then grabbed a bite to eat at a great restaurant whose coffee was top notch!   I also sat down and chatted with a complete stranger.   He had a O2 machine that is different than Mamas and I wanted to know about it so, I asked to sit and we had a chat ;)   The old me would have never done that, I'm getting nutz in my old age.

We then drove, mostly in the rain, for 6 hours.   The drive overall wasn't too bad and we crossed the 1300 mile marker for our trip which was cool.   There were a couple of things I wanted to remember about the trip so I'll record them here:

- Driving out of New Orleans up 59 you get on this bridge.... or this amazing bridge network, that is.    Mama said it was the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, but I'm not 100% on that.  What I do know is that it's long.... and it has intersections where other bridges come off of it like you were on land.   There are turn around sections (that are blocked off) with Port a Potties  -- I guess in need of emergency situations, lol.   It was really cool.  In some areas we were in brackish/swampy areas and in others we were over water and that was all you could see.   I liked it a lot.

- Then we drove through farm country.   Farms as far as you could see.   Very little in the way of towns, but tons of farms.

- I got hungry and we had planned to eat sandwiches.   I couldn't find anywhere to really pull over so we finally ended up eating in an abandoned buildings driveway.    I was about to be a Snickers Commercial all by myself!

We are now in Little Rock Arkansas.  We got here a few hours ago, settled in, and then drove to get a bite to eat.  I had looked on Yelp earlier for the restaurant, but when I got in the truck I remembered the wrong one.  So we went in, sat down and ordered drinks. While she was gone to get them I looked at the menu and freaked.... this was the expensive, not good place.  So I said "GET UP" and we all left very quickly before she got back with the drinks... it was embarrassing, but hilarious.     We then went to our intended restaurant and enjoyed a wonderful meal with good service.  I had a chicken noodle soup.  It tasted very different than your traditional chicken noodle, but it was yummy.

Now we are all in our pjs ready to settle in for the night.  Tomorrow is a busy day and I'm praying the rain holds off.   Sleep well blogland!

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...