Monday, April 03, 2006

Wow, Almost a Week

Wow, it's been almost a week since my last update. Sorry guys - just haven't felt like bloggin or doin much of anything for that matter. Well, anyway let the blogging begin :)

Friday we had a dinner to celebrate Jacks graduation from college. It was a blast - 12 of us, family and friends at the Olive Garden. Dynamite time- just dynamite. It was great to see some old friends - Donnie and his wife, Billy & Terry, I met a new friend of Jack's - Tripp, and we got to see Jacks' Mom and step dad. My mother was supposed to be there but I'll explain that later. Anyway we had a great time and fantastic service!

Now let's discuss my mother. I love my Mama - she is my best friend, but right now she needs help. I'm not sure if she had a small stroke or if it is just a combination of all these drugs she's on but she's looney. I didn't realize just how bad she was until I spent the entire weekend with her...let me explain. Ok, first you can't hardly understand my Mother on the phone; her speech is extremely slurred. I attributed it to waking her up or she was tired, but no her speech is slurred period. It's much more noticeable over the phone, but its there all the time. Second she's not thinking straight - I mean crazy person. Let me explain:

Friday Mama is supposed to meet us in Douglasville, GA at the Olive Garden which is on the opposite side of town as my home. I wanted her to meet me at work and then I'd just take her back to her car on Monday but she didn't want that. So Friday at 5:00 she calls to tell me she is stuck in traffic on 400. Then at 6:15 (dinner starts at 6:30) she calls to tell me she went the wrong way on 285 and asked for directions again. I try to help her navigate back and then I give Jack the phone because he's so much better w/ directions. 20 minutes later she calls back - has completely not followed any of the directions we gave her and is even more lost; lost to the point that I can't identify where she is. She finally gets to my house around 8:30 pm! She left her house at 3:30 and on normal days it is a hour and 1/2 drive; traffic sometimes 2 to 2 1/2.

Ok, so when she gets here I realize that she is driving the van. The full size conversion van whose mirrors don't work and whose windows wont' roll up. She has a small compact car but it wasn't running Friday, not sure what's wrong with it, so she decides to drive the van. Yes, I wanted her to come but not at the risk of killing herself. Do you know how hard it is to drive a full size conversion van in rush hour Atlanta with the mirrors? Much less without?

We get the van pulled into the driveway and park it. She then stays at the house all weekend. You can tell she just doesn't feel good. Her hands are shaking so bad that I had to mop the kitchen twice from where she spilt drinks and didn't even realize it. Plus she comes off with conversation and you have no clue what in the heck she is talkin about. Before the surgery my mother was invincible or so it seemed to me - this weekend it seemed like she had aged 30 years overnight. Oh, but I'm not done yet...

So today I call to check on her and I can't get an answer at my house or on her cell (which she can't figure out how to answer) so I call Jean. Her and Jean were supposed to go shopping today so I figure they are together. Jean in a non-chalant way, because she assumed I knew, told me she was on the way to my house to get the van out of the ditch. She had backed it off the left side of my driveway into the ditch...all 4 wheels. Now for those of you who have seem my home you will know this is not difficult to do, however all 4 wheels is a little amazing. Apparently they got it out because the van is not here, Mama is not here and there are rutts in my yard the size of Mississippi. She's not answering any of her #s so hopefully she got home before traffic. Yes, I told her to ride home w/ Jean and that I would get the van home to her...did she listen...No.

I'm really hoping that it is the combinations of medicines causing her to seem so out of it: some type of Chemo pill, nausea medicine (that I only thought she needed to take for a few days after the Chemo but she's still on it), indigestion meds, high blood pressure meds (that she can't find), some type of nerve pill and paxel another nerve pill. Oh plus a pill for restless leg syndrome. God help her. She said she would call the doc today and see what's goin on...did she - I don't know. God I hope so.

Please from this rant don't think I don't love my mother I do - dearly, but something is wrong. We just have to figure out what.

Next Topic:

School starts back this week. 9 chapters to get read and a discussion board due Friday - You can feel the excitement, can't ya? Tee Hee

The guild logged onto the regular server last night. We all went into the Silent City and played around - loads of fun. I love grouping w/ guildies. Now if I can just talk them into giving up PvP completely.

I started a new bag :) and finished my shawl (other than adding the fringe) pics to follow later.

Well, I'm going downstairs to destress for a bit. Later blog land - hope you have a restful evening.

2 comments:

Mylerna said...

I'll find out - thanks!

Andy said...

I know this sounds completly off topic from the end of the post but I would have liked to have been invited to that dinner to celebrate Jack Graduating.

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...