Friday, September 08, 2017

London Day 7

It was supposed to rain hard today, but God held off for us and we only  had a few drizzles - praying that it continues tomorrow as we have a big outside day planned tomorrow.   So what did we do today in the drizzles?  Well, it was a lighter day but we had fun.

First we got up a little late and then had breakfast at Cafe MoMo - the coffee - not so great - the food outstanding!  Best breakfast so far!!!  We just have to teach Europe how to make coffee and all will be right with the world :)   Seriously though I had waffles with berries and the waffle was amazingly sweet and the berries super fresh - it was delish!

We then grabbed the metro to NottingHill where we walked through the market place.  I imagine due to the rain the outside marketplace was lighter than normal, but we appreciated the fact it wasn't crowded and enjoyed meandering through the various shops and outdoor vendors.  I actually bought me a skirt - it's completely frivolous and I don't know where I'll wear it, but I just loved it so... I bought it.  

After our stroll through the market we went to see the British Library that our schedule pushed out of the agenda the other day.  I'm so glad we fit it back in.  It's funny - it wasn't on my list of things to see and when I asked Jack and Mama to look through a list of "things to do" this was one of Jack's that I had not planned.  I'm so glad he flagged it - it was incredible.  You could not take pictures, but they have books on display that are almost 1000 years old.  Some of them are bibles that is made of pictures - wonderfully detailed, golden, ornate pictures.   There was also scrolls, one of the few original copies of the book of John, works from Michelangelo,  it was just astounding that this stuff survived.  Oh - and a globe bigger than me with constellations painted all over it - beautiful.   And one of the 4 copies of the Magna Carta was on display... Now let me tell you the really impressive part --- going to see this was low stress.  No mean security guards making you feel guilty for wanting to see a piece of our history.  They had guards posted throughout, but they were friendly and unobtrusive -- you could lean on the glass... sit and chat...   I just love guards and staff at places made for visitors here - they treat you with respect and are appreciative of the fact you are here to see whatever you are visiting.    I'm sure there are bad apples, but we have enjoyed it.

Once done here we went to eat at a BBQ restaurant which was really good.   I had baby back ribs with fries.  I got a starter because I wasn't really hungry, but they were yummy.  The waitress was also extremely friendly - we enjoyed the experience.

After lunch we headed out.  Jack headed to work and Mama and I went to see Madame Tussaud's.  I have to admit I didn't want to go... a building of fake people made out of wax.  Every time Mama sees one she asks about going into one and I figured if I was going to be subjected to it then it might as well be the original.  I was pleasantly surprised though - they  had the figures where you could go right up to them and get a picture.  I actually enjoyed myself.   The only thing that got me was it was a little crowded and people would jump in front of you if you were waiting to get a picture, but I liked it.

We then headed back to the hotel and took an evening of downtime.  I accidentally put us on the wrong train coming home, but we realized it and quickly swapped over - no big deal.  First time I've done it in a week -- surprised it didn't happen earlier.  After we got home i rested while Jack worked and during his lunch time Jack and I meandered down to get some fresh fruit at the grocery.  The rest of the evening we have relaxed - it has been nice.  Tomorrow is a big day as Jack doesn't have to work so I saved many of the best sites for tomorrow.  It will be fun - lots of walking though...

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...