Sunday, September 17, 2017

Germany Day 16

Every day you are on vacation is a good day and today was no exception.  I will say though - in all fairness - I've had better tours.   I've traveled with Globus 5 times now and this is the first time I've been disappointed in the trip for a number of small reasons that add up to just ... well not satisfied.   I won't dwell on that here though - just want to be up front and honest for my memories.  I also know it is coming across in the journal-ling some so I want to remember why when I'm 50 wondering why these journals don't sound all rosy and stupid happy like they normally do.

So on to happier things - what did we do today?  Jack put our bags out by 7 and we got up to start getting ready.   We were running a bit late so I ran our hand held luggage down by 8:15 while everyone else finished getting ready - we don't leave until later today as we opted out of the concentration camp excursion, but our bags needed to be on the bus so we didn't have to keep up with them.  

We then headed down to breakfast and ate at a leisurely pace since we had some free time.   Then we headed out to go see the Oktoberfest Parade.   We saw that they were lining up and ended up right where it started.  I wish later we would have moved as they were actually coming in from 3 different streets so Mama and I only got to see about 1/3 of it, but we saw a ton.  Jack scooted under the rope and went to get a better view, but Mama and I decided to just stay.   It was drizzling rain the entire time so it was a little comical - me trying to take pictures while we tried to keep myself, the camera and Mama's arm dry.  The parade was really neat with people all dressed up and horses pulling buggies.   It was very unique and LONG.  I think it's longer than the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving - we sat and watched it for 2 hours and it still had a little bit to go.

We then walked down to the MarienPlatz area and grabbed a bite to eat.   We ate at a local German restaurant, but I got a hamburger.  It was good though a bit expensive - they did have English menus though so that was a win.   We then wondered around the square a bit, everything and I do mean everything except a tiny tourist shop was closed.   Apparently that is the norm here on Sunday's.  I really wanted to buy a coat because 50 degrees is a lot colder than I thought it was, but everything was closed.

The square is pretty though - they have 2 town hall buildings the old and the new.  The new one is Gothic and really cool.  The old one is actually newer because it was rebuilt after the war was pretty as well.  We took some pictures of the outside and then it was time to meet with our group.

We were supposed to take a walking tour of Munich ... instead she spoke in the square - without using the Whisper system that makes it where you can actually hear her and then we went to the bus for a driving tour.   It was basically this is this building, this is that one, while we drove by them - it was so boring.  I fell asleep... I woke up when Jack showed me the Olympic stuff - that we didn't get to stop and see.

We then stopped at this palace which was amazing ... but we only got 20 minutes to see it.   I was PISSED let me tell you.  I wanted at least 30 to 45 to see it and take pictures of the amazing gardens. It took 10 to go to the bathroom and we were gong to be on the bus for 2 hours after this...so not going was not an option for most of us.  

We then drove to Oberammergau.  The drive up was gorgeous - we are getting into the Alps and the mountains are just amazing.  We are staying tonight in this little hotel in the Passion Play town of Oberammergau.   The scenery is amazing and we have a free night tomorrow night to walk around, I'm really hoping the shops stay open a bit later.  

While I'm not happy with this tour on a number of levels, we are still having a great time and I'm really looking forward to our trips into the Alps tomorrow.



Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...