Thursday, September 14, 2017

Germany Day 13

Berlin - that is what today was all about.  I got up at 6:30, got dressed and went to help Mama with a few things given the bum arm.   I then came back to finish getting ready myself before heading down to breakfast with her at 7.  Jack was still in the shower so we went on just so as to not hurry.

We walked into the hotel dining room and several of the group came to check on Mama through out our meal which was very nice.  Breakfast this morning was ok, but nothing compared to the one yesterday.  However, it filled us up and prepared us for the day.

We then loaded on the bus and met our local guide.   She was very stylish with her hair half hanging down in her face and healed boots on that I would kill myself if I dared try to stand in them much less walk.   She is the daughter of the guide we had yesterday and I was dreading having her - her father was a bit monotone and I just really wanted a bit of personality today.  Well, I shouldn't have dreaded anything - she was fabulous!   She told great history about everything, was interesting, she strayed here and there to give us extra bits or to go off on a tangent.   I absolutely loved having her today.

This morning was an optional excursion to Potsdam.  On the way, as i twas a bit out of town, she pointed out some Berlin highlights and then proceeded to give us the entire royal history of Prussia.   The first palace we went to in Potsdam belonged to the Prussian royalty and was also where the Potsdam Conference was held in 1945, Cecilienhof Palace.   The palace was under construction on the outside but it seemed pretty and I was able to get a few photographs.  

On the inside you had to buy a photography permit - which I did.  I hung back far enough to get lots of pictures without people in them, but could still hear her through our ear pieces.  I love those things as they allow me to wonder and not miss the dialogue.  The interesting thing about this place is that the caretakers really guard it very closely -- but it isn't all that pretty or unique on the inside.  Apparently the guides can't say certain things or they get into trouble and the guards are trained to ease drop and report back.   We had a woman guard follow us most of ht time and I found her very unfriendly and intimidating.  She kept watching me but I paid for my permit by golly and I was taking my pictures.

We saw each of the big 3's desk along with the conference room.  The palace was chosen by Russia and they made sure they had their pick of rooms and desk.   The conference room was round and it was very important these 3 looked equal vs. one favoring the other - stupidity - just walk into a room and sit down, who care's who walks in first?  I don't understand how that pomp and circumstance every helps anything.

Once we finished here we drove to Sanssouci Palaece to see the gardens and take pictures of it's outside.  I thought it was really pretty and enjoyed strolling around it.   The Prussia King who helped bring the people out of famine by teaching them how to eat the potato king is here.  He is known as the potato king and people leave potatoes on his grave.  He is buried with his 10 dogs whom he loved greatly.   The gardens and fountain were quite pretty and it was an enjoyable stop.

We also drove over Glienicker Bruckle, a bridge that connects Potsdam with Berlin.  It was used to make spy swaps between the FBI and the KGB during the cold war.  After leaving Potsdam we drove back to our hotel to eat and rest before the next excursion.

We decided to eat at a all day breakfast place behind the hotel called Chips.  We walked in and there isn't a sign that says seat yourself so we waited... and waited.  Jack tried to ask a lady who looked like she worked there, but he was ignored.  So we waited some more.  Finally this lady, the one who ignored Jack, came over and said sit anywhere except if it says reserved.   Well, I sit down at the booth to which she says - RESERVED.   I didn't know - the sign was tiny.  So we sckoot over a table and wait.  I may have called her a bad word under my breath.

Then we waited some more.  Finally Jack said they have 5 minutes and we are leaving.   A minute later the waitress came over and took our order.   And we waited... several and I do mean several minutes later they bring us coffee and some soda no one has heard of.   The coffee is very much like English coffee, which means nasty!  I had to ask for cream twice and even then it was frothy and weird.

The food they brought was pretty good - very good actually.  We all had the lumberjack, which consist of eggs, bacon, french toast and a salad.

After eating we went back to the room and took a 20 minute power nap.

We were then up and at it again.  We hopped back on the bus with our guide and our tour director to go hear about the WW2 history up to the falling of the wall.   It was interesting to hear about it from her as she lived through the Berlin wall collapse - she was a child in 1990.    I learned some things and enjoyed the commentary.    We stopped at a timeline near a 1 mile section of Berlin Wall that is still standing.   We stopped at Checkpoint Charlie and also a Soviet Memorial for the WW2 soldiers that was in a very nice park.   It was interesting - however by time it was over I was dragging.

We came back upstairs to our room and crashed.   We had a good hour nap and then got up to go to dinner.

Dinner was at a local restaurant that obviously caters to tour groups.   It was so cramped you could barely move - which sucked.   It was also really loud.   However, the food was incredible and you could drink as much as you wanted - anything you wanted.  We stuck to soft drinks but several in our group got quite happy.  Before long they were all up dancing in this restaurant you could barely move in.   It was fun to witness - I would have loved to dance, but it was just too crowded.  Mama laughed at us.   The room is dancing - drinking - laughing.  Jack and I are translating the place mat with an app on his phone and having a great time... it takes all types I guess.   It was fun.

Now we are here at the hotel and need go to breakfast at 7 in the am so I'm calling it a night.  Sleep well blogland.

P.S.  Mama is doing great - didn't let her slow her down at all today.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The right tour guide makes all the difference. Worth researching. I can’t believe how well Betty kept up with a broken bone.

DCAja said...

this is good!
br,
motor

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...