Sunday, September 03, 2017

London Day 2

7.7 Miles and 32 Flights of Steps - that is what we walked today per Jack's Fit Bit.   My feet agree with the number, but we had a good day!   Overall the day was paced leisurely and while we didn't get quite everything I wanted to see/do done today we did a lot.   I also want to remind you that my mother is me... so yes I walked the above, but so did my 72 year old Mama who was with us for every step.   She is amazing!

We got up and headed out to eat at a local restaurant... who didn't apparently open to serve breakfast until 9:30 on a Sunday.. who doesn't serve breakfast before 9:30?   So we left and ended up eating at a place called The Ivy Kensington.  It was a fancy place that felt very British and the food was very British.   I don't remember London for it's food before and I can't say that has changed.   I had eggs with salmon, Mama had eggs with toast and Jack had an omelet.  Mama and I had coffee and Jack OJ.  Mine was edible, Mamas was fairly ok - though it's  presentation was very fancy and Jack's was good.  The coffee was not drinkable and the OJ yummy... I loved the atmosphere, so pretty and elegant, just wish the food had tasted better.

We then left to hop on the bus.  Today we did the hop on / off tour.  We didn't do a complete circuit, but what we did see we enjoyed.  I love the way they have it set up with headphone jacks at every seat - you put your headphones in (they give you a pair), choose your language and listen to the narration.  I missed the ad lib of a tour guide, but they more than made up for it in the fact I could hear and still have a conversation with out feeling like I was being rude.   We enjoyed riding around London and just seeing it.    London is one of my favorite cities in the world.  I love the architecture, the flowers everywhere, the parks, the cleanliness of the city.  I love it's vibe, it's international flair, it's pace of life, the fact there are flower marts on the corners, the food/snack trucks... I just love it.

We hopped off at one point to see Hyde Park, the Wellington Arch, the WW2 memorial, some other memorials/ statues and the Queen Elizabeth Gate.  The Australian WW2 Memorial was amazing - they used more prominent letters of soldiers names to make country names - then it had water flowing over it.  It was very well done.  I also loved the gate - something silly and fanciful about it that just made you smile.

We then went to the restroom,, which required 50 cents... so we had to leave the restroom to get change.   I did enjoy the fact it was clean, but I'm grateful we don't charge to pee in the US.   I have to pee a lot - I'd be broke, lol.

We then headed back to get on the bus.  I saw it there and ran to catch him... while the others caught up.   He let me in and then shut the door on the others joking that they were too late.  It was fun, then I realized we were on the wrong bus and he said we couldn't leave, that I didn't like his bus enough.  He had great fun with it and well just made me smile.   People like that are why I love touring companies, they can make a trip!    He did let us off and we waited a few minutes for the red line to come by and off we went.

By this point the time change has caught up with Jack and he is sleeping - I'm struggling with it a bit myself so I just take random pis of him in his zzz moment.   I have pictures of him sleeping on every trip I think.  We then got off to head to the tower bridge -  I accidentally got off at the London bridge stop so we had about a 10 minute walk, but it was for the best.  I would have been asleep if we stayed on the moving bus much longer and this way we had to pass the Hallows by the Tower church vs. going out of the way to see it.

So we stopped in and saw the church, it is the oldest church in London and it was nice.  They have events there too and one was setting up, but we enjoyed our visit.  Everything was so quiet and reverent - I felt at peace there and in one chapel had a moment of thanks with the Lord - something I rarely do in the churches we visit on trips.   It was something.   The church itself was pretty and well cozy.  The stain glass was mainly clear so and the church wasn't grandiose so it had a different feel from most European cathedrals.   I really enjoyed being there.

As we were leaving I noticed there was a bar in part of the structure - or maybe made onto it.  Very different...   We then were walking toward the tower when we saw a band playing - they were some type of military marching band so we stopped to watch and listen for a few.  I then set down to find us a lunch restaurant.

I typically research restaurants before trips, but didn't this one because I wasn't sure where we would be at any given time... So it took a while to find something and it was frustrating.  I remember why I do all the research now and even knowing why I didn't and that it would have been pointless I kinda wish I had... I hate tryikng to find a restaurant when everyone is waiting on me.  It makes me nervous and also ill - mainly ill because I'm hungry and trying to make a decision.   Anyway... we ended up goign to this place by the water only to find out they were full and were not taking any more people.

It was a happy accident though because it took me to a part I would have not gone to and we got some great pictures (at least I hope they are great) of tower bridge.   We then asked for advice and were on our way to Katherine's Docks who has restaurants -- but some how we got misplaced and ended up eating at a place called the Dickens House.   The building was a gorgeous wood building with flowers all over it.   We at on the top floor with a view of the marina, peaceful!  The building was built in the late 1700s as a warehouse and you could see the exposed rafters - I just loved the look of the place.   Mama and I had fish and chips - which she LOVED and Jack had a burger which was also good.  The service was inattentive and not great, but other than that we loved the restaurant.   I just loved the feel of it.

We then went back the way we came, took a few more pictures of Tower Bridge before heading into it.  We did the tour that allows you to walk over the road and down into the engine room.  One section of it has a glass see through walk way and it surprised me that Jack walked over it.  He is typically scared of heights, but over he went.   I tried to get some unique fun shots of my feet, etc.. we shall see if they turned out.  

After exploring the tower we headed back to the bus.  I was worried they may have passed this spot for the last time today as it was nearing the end of the day and I was correct so we continued on to the subway.   We got our passes that allow us to pay as we go... they have some different 7 passes, but they are limited to certain zones and I didn't want to deal with trying to figure that out so we just did the pay as you go as I had originally planned.     At this point I had intended to go to the British Library, but Mama and Jack were both ready to come back to the hotel for a bit and I can't say that I as arguing overly much....

So we caught the subway ... after we figured out how to read the maps... which only involved Jack and I snapping at each other a couple of times (hee) and then headed home.   This hotel we are in is an extended stay place and we love it.  Spacious, has everything we want and well - it's just homey.  

We came back, took a nap, and then Jack and I headed to a local market to get some food for tonight and tomorrow's breakfast.  No one felt like going out tonight and tomorrow we have to leave for a tour really early.    Mama got her items from us and said she was going to sleep.  Jack and I sat and ate our sandwiches, chips, grapes and a drink and enjoyed the fact we are in our PJS.  I have to say food over here in the grocery stores seems cheaper than at home.  We were in a little convenience type grocery store, not a gigantic one like we have at home.  So I expected to pay more, but it was really affordable.   Plus the ready made sandwiches we got were really good - in the US ready made sandwiches are rarely good.

So... we are back now, resting and getting ready for tomorrow.   We do a tour tomorrow so I think the walking will be less - my feet hope so.  Sleep well until tomorrow.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this daily blog. I’m laughing because I am Jack half the time and them I’m you the other half. Leo gets more pissed than you when I pass out from exhaustion at the most beautiful or picturesque location. And then we have the daily fight about where to eat. And it is amazing that, just like with our trips, happy accidents led to the best experiences.

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...