Saturday, May 30, 2009

Alaska Day 3

Day 3 – 5/24/09

This morning began with breakfast in our room! I love room service – Man I could get used to it!

After Breakfast we disembarked from the Infinity in Ketchikan AK. The town is only accessible by Ship / Rail and its tourist industry was obvious. We did an excursion – Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles. I have to say the money was worth it! I’ll tell you more about it later, but right now I have to get ready for dinner…

Day 3 – 5/24/09 Continued

On the excursion we took a bus to a dock about 30 minutes outside of town. The road to the dock was down a dirt road and I heard several people talk about the fact it needed to be paved. However, in looking around it appears dirt roads are common around here – just goes to show how people constantly want to change things to make it more convenient for them vs. just adapting to what the area already has… the price of progress is steep. But I digress – the bus driver was humorous and had some political commentary that was interesting. Apparently groceries are expensive on the island due to the fact they have to be shipped in… However he said the fish is shipped a total of 2 blocks and its expensive too so I don’t think they can blame it all on shipping cost. It was funnier when he said it I know but since this is for my memory as much as sharing with you … you get the lame jokes along w/ the days events.

Once we got to the dock we boarded a small boat (2 decks) and went out in the water to see some Eagles Nest, Totem Poles and the Lighthouse. I have to say that the excursion wouldn’t have been no where as neat if it wasn’t for the crew of the ship! They really made it. The Captain, Captain Bob, was funny and made the trip interesting. The guy in the galley was nice as you could imagine and had the best eyes – eyes that looked at you and twinkled in delight. I felt welcomed and comfortable the instance I was on board.

We saw 10 Eagle Nest and several bald eagles. At that time I really, really wish I had a 600 MM Lens with a Tripod, but my 300 was able to at least catch the fact that a bald eagle was there. The shots are horrible, but when cropped you can see the bird – however crappy the quality it may be. You do what you can with what you have. There were two ladies on board with a 400 MM ProLine Canon lens – OH MAN I had lens envy…

The Captain told us about houses on the land we were passing and gave us some local color which was nice. We also saw the lighthouse and heard of their plans to turn it into a museum. Ketchikan is also the Totem capital in the world (along with the Salmon) and we got to see several of the totems on the shore and heard some of the stories they told. It was neat, though I kind of wish we would have chosen a tour that would have got us up close and personal… ah well!

One more note about the ship – you got free refreshments and they had this Salmon dip that was out of this world good. I got the recipe and OMG I can’t wait to make it! I’ll eat it all in one sitting, it was great!

After the excursion we were driven back to Ketchikan and walked around the town a bit before we had to be back on board The Infinity. We bought most of the gifts we needed to buy and headed back to the ship. I also got me a few things…spent too much money, but I’m only in Alaska once so screw it.

Once aboard the Infinity we took a long nap and then went to see the Ventriloquist show. He was super funny – I really thought it would be lame, but Mama wanted to go. Looking back I’m very glad we did as he was super entertaining.

After the show Mama went off to explore and Jack and I headed to dinner. We were by ourselves and the appetizers were great. Then the incident happened! I had ordered stuffed flounder… it was garnished with a crawfish. You think … ok … so what. Well the crawfish still had eyes and instantly my appetite was gone. Jack had them take it away and the waiter as nice as he was tried to give me a salmon but I was so done. I think the waiter was laughing at me a little bit… ah well – I can’t eat food that is looking back at me, sorry. We left shortly afterwards and went to roam the nightclubs of the ship.

They have a really good dance band onboard and Jack had a drink so that he would feel comfortable dancing - it instantly went to head which was cute. Unfortunately, by time we got their and Jack had a drink there was only time for 1 dance before they were done… We then meandered and heard some accapella singing and ended up in the Disco area. Some people were dancing, but I was ready to call it a night so we headed back to our room and turned in for the evening.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...