Saturday, May 30, 2009

Alaska Day 2

Day 2 – 5/23/09

We slept till 7:30 AM PST (11:30 EST) and had breakfast in the room, what a treat. The view off the balcony is peaceful with Snow Capped Mountains in the distance. The room itself is roomier than I imagined we would have and we’ve found a spot to put everything; the bed is super comfy! So far we’ve done nothing except participate in the mandatory abandon ship drill, but we are about to go to the Cha-Cha class J See you in a bit!

Well we went to dance Cha-Cha and it was fun/ frustrating. Having taken lessons for a year now it was odd to not be in frame and to not have Jack really leading the dance. I was glad when it was over to be honest. Then we meandered around a bit. We went to the top side and Jack thought I had gotten blown overboard because he turned around and I had walked away – pretty funny! The wind was really brutal. Overall the temperature is colder than I anticipated – they said 50-60 degrees but damn that isn’t what it feels like.

We then ate lunch in the dining room - it was good and fancy, which was a nice change of pace. We ate with 8 other people (Mama was napping) and it was interesting. I’m not typically comfortable with a bunch of strangers but we did alright … they all seemed to be nice people. Especially the lady to my right- she ordered a tea and I a coke… Getting drinks around here that aren’t water or alcohol is a pain. I mean we bought those $30 passes for unlimited soft drinks but getting them at a meal takes an act of Congress. That is really my only complaint about the cruise line thus far…

After lunch we attempted to take a photo editing class, but they wanted Money for it and I can’t see me getting that much out of it so we decided to skip. We walked around a bit and then came back to the hotel to rest before dinner.

Dinner was formal and I wore my black and white ball gown. It was really fun and the food was pretty good – walking down the stairs into the dining area I felt like I was some rich princess in a grand ship; it was surreal and entirely pampering! I loved it. They had several courses and we tried them all – the sherbet to cleanse your pallet would have to be the funniest – man it was bad. Mama and I were having a good time making fun of the pomp and circumstance – while I must say I enjoyed every minute of it.

After dinner Mama went to the room and Jack and I decided to try out the evening show. It was a tribute to Broadway and the theater was beautiful. The performers were very talented – not knowing Broadway we didn’t really get it but it was obvious they were extremely talented, maybe we will enjoy the next show more… By then it was late and while we popped our head into the dance club we ended up coming back to the room and crashing. Overall it was a good relaxing day!

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...