Sunday, May 14, 2017

Atlanta Day 1

This was handwritten on 4/3/17.  I'm just now getting it typed up and into the blog :)

Today we got up and left the house around 9:30.   We stopped for some quick drive through breakfast at McDonald's and some necessary Dunkin Doughnuts then headed out toward the Big A.

The drive itself was uneventful and we arrived to Atlanta around 12.   The AIRBNB wasn't ready yet so we stopped at a brunch restaurant called Folk Art.  I had french toast and some maple apple bacon which was yummy.    And of course coffee which was delightful.  Another Broken Egg still has the best by far (French Toast that is), but this was good.  Mama had a burger and you could tell they were patted out by hand, which was awesome.   The service was a little slow, but given we weren't in a rush and the ambiance it was cool.

When we left the restaurant it was raining pretty good so we rushed to the car.  Once there I couldn't find my phone so I grabbed an umbrella and went back -> no phone.  I get back to the car and Mama had found it.  It had fallen out of my purse into the backseat, thank the Lord.

We then headed to the Carter Library.   It was nice.  I didn't realize how much he has done post presidency to help the world.  Talk about a Godly man making a difference.   He also brokered the peace deal with Egypt and Israel that still stands today.  I'm reading about Israel in the old testament so this was pretty cool to see the peace eons later brokered by such a Godly man.  Also, on the videos shown in the museum his wife and him are so soft spoken.

After leaving the library/museum - in the rain again - we headed for the AIRBNB.  It is in Grant Park, which is down town Atlanta, and it is great.   It's a 3 bedroom house.  Probably built in the 20s.  The house has been fixed up and is really spacious and convenient to where we are going.   I love having an entire house to myself.

We rested for a bit and ventured out to Westview cemetery.  I was hoping to see Big Mamaw's grave and Mama wanted to see Mrs. Foutts.  We went to the office and got a map with directions, but we still couldn't find the graves :(

The graveyard itself was pretty though.   Not as many old tombstones as some others, but it has a mausoleum that was pretty and graveyards in general are peaceful places.  The gates closed at 5:30 so we had to get out, but I do hope to go back and look some more.

Once we left we headed to Five Points to go to Walgreens.  I don't mind driving in Atlanta, but I hate trying to find a parking place.   Mama's telling me the history of the place and I though she was telling me to turn.  It was tense for a moment, but once the miscommunication was over, and we parked it got better.  We paid for parking and got hustled for $2 by a street gentleman and then proceeded on our way.

We walked to Walgreens, got Mama's medicine, some souvenirs and headed out again.   We then just walked a bit.   Looked at the bank building where Mama almost got assaulted as a 16 year old woman.  Listened to her compare how it looks now to when she lived her in the 50's - it was pretty cool.

We then drove to Kroger on Glendale Dr.  - I think it's called murder Kroger.  Got a parking spot right up front - Woot.  Grabbed some drinks, lunch meat, etc... for the house and headed back to the BNB.

We dropped off our stuff, cleaned up a bit and went to grab dinner at Tom, Dick and Hank.   It is a BBQ joint that had a good review.  The service was good and I liked the ambiance, but I didn't care for the sauce they put on the meat.

Oh, but I forgot!  On our way to find this BBQ place or more accurately while looking for parking I went down a 1 way street the WRONG way! Can you say AAAH!  Luckily no one was coming, but gosh!

We are now back safe and sound.  We are calling it an early night.  Big day planned for tomorrow, sleep well!

Pictures can be found here: http://www.mylerna.com/2017/Atlanta-Trip

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...