Monday, May 15, 2017

Atlanta Day 2

I could have sworn I wrote a journal about the rest of our Atlanta journey, but I can't find it if I did so I'm writing this a few weeks later.  My memory now is better than it will be years from now, but I still wish I could find the original journal entry - sorry!

On Tuesday we got up and left the BNB around 8:15 - once there we headed over to RIA's Bluebird for breakfast.  This was a quaint little restaurant with an artsy feel.  The breakfast was really good and it was close so win on all fronts.  I remember their coffee being particularly enjoyable and it helped me cope with the very annoying 2 year old that came in partially through our meal.  It's not a big restaurant so when a patron is annoying it impacts everyone.

After breakfast we headed back to the BNB to wait for our tour guide.  Even though Mama and I have both lived in the Atlanta area I thought it would be cool to be guided around - I was not wrong.   He picked us up at 10 and drove us around several neighborhoods, downtown and really all over the Atlanta area.  I found him extremely nice and knowledgeable + given it was a private tour he didn't mind stopping and letting me take pictures galore.

What was really cool about the tour was Mama.  She lived here in the 50's, he moved here in the 80's.   So he told the history from one era and she told it from another era's perspective - it was pretty cool.  At one point we went to an old mill that had been converted into Condos, Condo's he actually lived in at one point.   Come to find out, Mama used to work in the cotton mill back in the day and was talking about where the cafeteria used to be, etc... It was a neat experience for him and us I think.     I remember at one point after she had been reminiscing for a while and talking about her various jobs (of which she had several) he asked "How old are you?"  It was comical - I don't think he even realized he popped his question out.   I got plum tickled.

After the tour we went back to the house, ate a sandwich and rested for a little bit.

Once we got some much needed rest we headed back out to explore some more.   We went down to the MLK National Historic site and explored.  The day we were visiting on 4/4, which was the day MLK passed away.   So it was a big day - they had his birth place open and also were holding in a special memorial service with his family.

The first thing we explored was his the house he grew up in.   Now, this was a bit of an experience.  Everyone had cameras and they said no photography.  No problem, I can have my camera out and not take a picture... If you have ever seen me with all of my gear on I look a bit like a hiker with straps all over me, criss-crossed.  It is a pain to get on and off so I figured I would leave my camera's out and just not take pictures.  I can respect the rules, well.... the gatekeeper at the door would not allow me to keep my camera out. I had to stop the line and get all of my gear put up.  Never mind that the people with their phones and their point and shoots weren't required to put theirs up.  It irritated me right from the get go.

While the lady was happy to worry about my camera (which I wouldn't have used), but she did not bother to tell us that it was a silent visit.  So Mama and I started talking about the house and different things in it, only to be SSSSHHHED loudly.   To say the least I was happy to get out of the house he grew up in.  It was small, but quaint and I wish I could have enjoyed seeing it more vs. feeling harassed.

Once we left his house we headed down to Ebenezer Church.   This is the church where he was a pastor.   They were having a memorial service and Mama sat in it for a few minutes, but not very long.  What is interesting - in the church you are allowed to talk, in the house not so much?  Does that make any sense?  Yea not to me either.

While we were in the area we also went to the MLK Visitor Center and to the King Center.  We walked through several of the various exhibits.  It was interesting to learn about his life, the items he did for not on the African American community, but for all of us as Americans.  I can't imagine the life and time he lived in and pray we continue to move forward to where racism is no longer a thing, but something that only exist in the history books.

After leaving the MLK Site we headed downtown to Centennial Olympic Park.   By this time it was later in the afternoon and hot!   We sat in Waffle House for a bit and just got something cold to drink before we ventured out into the park.   Once we left the restaurant we headed out and walked through the park to the Coke Museum, sat and watched the people for a bit and ventured back.  It was a good hour to two hour stroll where we stopped and rested several times.   I enjoyed it, but I must admit it was hot and I was sweaty and ready for a cold shower.

So we headed back to our BNB to get cleaned up and rest a bit before dinner.  

After resting we drove down to Oakland Cemetery and walked around a little bit.  We had been here earlier today during our tour, but I wanted to take a few more pictures.  We spent about an hour or so and then headed out for dinner...

We had planned to go eat at a place called Erica’s Sidewalk CafĂ©, however when I GPS's to it I realized it was literally a food truck in a dark ally.  I didn't feel safe and had no intention on eating there so I pulled over in a safe spot and hunted my trusty YELP/Trip Adviser for a restaurant.  We ended up eating at a place called the Pittypat's Porch.  It is a more expensive restaurant, but well worth it.  We sat outside and watched the people wander around.  It was perfect and relaxing. The staff were extremely friendly and the food was awesome!

Once we had eaten our fill we headed back to get some much needed sleep.   Overall it was a terrific Mother-Daughter day.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...