Sunday, February 19, 2017

NY Day 3

2/19/17
NY Travel Journal - Day 3

Today we did quite a few things, but we also rested.   It was just the right combination of both - tomorrow I leave Jack up in the Big Apple to work while I go back to GA.   He will be busy all week and I'm not an explore NY on my own type of girl + I've seen about all I really "wanted" to see.  So what did we do today?

Well, we got up and went to La Bonbonniere.  It is a complete hole in the wall, but Trip Advisor said it had one of the best French Toast in NY and they were not wrong.  The food was great and the service was quick, which was a blessing because we were running a tad bit behind.

After breakfast, we headed to the 9/11 Museum.   I'm glad I went - they did a good job making it a combination of educational and a memorial.   That being said - I have no desire to ever go again.  It's one of those one time only moments - I cried, I thought about where I was on that day and I remembered.    They have a room where they read and show the victims name on a wall and then a family member verbally shares a recorded memory.  I don't know how many hours it takes to go trough all the names - I only made it through 5 names before my heart required me to leave.  The last one was a 4-year-old little girl.   I don't understand hate and evil - I don't get it.   I don't understand a belief so fanatic that I would kill thousands.   I don't understand and I hope I never do.

After the museum we went and saw the memorial itself - I think it is pretty and moving in its own right.   Once we saw it we headed back into the World Trade Center Oculus.  This is a very weird alien looking building where all the trains come into - it is also a mall type facility.  that being said the food choices are limited and there isn't seating.  It is modern, uninviting and weird.   We were ready to sit and I wanted a bite to eat so we hopped n the train and went to the next station which was City Hall.

Upon arriving we walked through the park toward the Brooklyn Bridge.  Once through there were food vendors so I grabbed a Chicken Gyro and we sat on a bench and rested for a few minutes.

Once I had eaten and we had a few minutes off of our feet we decided to take the walking path that goes onto the Brooklyn Bridge.  It was super busy, but I had fun and we took a lot of pictures.     I thought the Bridge itself was pretty and well just the experience was worth it.  I hope the pictures turned out, my lens is not wanting to autofocus - hope it is the lens and not the camera.   I'll play around with it when I get home and if necessary ship it off for repair :(

After walking partially across the bridge we turned around, grabbed the metro and headed back to the hotel.   We took a slight different walking path back to the metro and took pictures of City Hall, a courthouse, and some other really cool buildings.   Some of the architecture you find in NYNY is surprising.  You expect skyscrapers but then you find an old world, European style buildings that are breathtaking in a completely different way.

Once back at the hotel we took a nap.  I needed it and while I hate that we wasted part of the day, it made it so that we could enjoy the evening.

After the nap, we went back out to Time Square but walked our way there - stopping as we saw fit to shop and meander.  Once there we waited in line for over an hour for the Star Dust Diner.   They have aspiring Broadway singers working there and they sing while you eat.  It was fun and the food was also good.  We had Guac as an appetizer, then we both had burgers and fries.  After dinner, we got a milkshake and just sat for a few minutes.    It was worth the wait!

After dinner it was 9:30 so we headed back to the hotel.   My legs hurt from the walking I'm not used to, but the weekend has been fabulous.  Jack has been here with me and we've been with each other vs. on our phones.   It's been great.   I fly home tomorrow afternoon so I get to start my day slowly tomorrow which is also going to be great!

It's been a great time and I wish I could stay longer, but at the same time, I'm ready to be away from the crowds.  


No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...