Thursday, May 25, 2017

Nashville Day 1

5/26/2017

Today was a great day.  I'm so grateful for the weather, it was sunny, but in the 70's - which made it perfect for a light jacket and walking around.  Loved it.

So what did we do today in this perfect weather?

First we went and grabbed Jack some breakfast and brought it back as he had to work.  So grateful to have a hubby that doesn't mind us going and exploring while he works from the BNB.   After we got him nourished we went off to start the day.

First - Breakfast!   Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out and I research restaurants of where to eat on vacation well in advance to avoid the "what do you want", "I don't know, what do you want" conversations that typically happen when everyone is hungry and grumpy.   The choice this morning was Pancake Pantry.  

It was really good - I had coffee, french toast and bacon.  While I can say I've had better french toast (Another Broken Egg still wins that hands down), it was pretty good.   The bacon was crispy and the coffee fantastic!

After Breakfast Mama and I drove down to the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum.  We spent a good 3 hours walking though it and I enjoyed it.  I liked seeing the stage outfits the best - they just cracked me up.  I also enjoyed seeing pictures of the artist when they were younger and catching glimpses of their stories.   They have video of various tv performances and it was cool to see how it's all evolved.   One for instance said "So and So artist, in COLOR" (sorry I don't remember the artist name) it was the "in color" that caught my attention and just made me giggle a bit.

After the museum we walked back to the car to get some drinks.   We borrowed a neighbors cooler (no idea what happened to the one we had at some  point) and am really glad we did.  They wanted $5 for a coke at the museum and I spent 9 for a pack of 36 so Costco for the frugal win!

After we sat and rested a few minutes we walked down to Schermerhorn Symphony Center to take a few pictures.  I realized tonight when we were strolling I failed to see the actual front of the center - what I thought was so pretty this afternoon was just the side, lol!  So I want to go back tomorrow in the daylight and get some more pictures of it.  It is really a pretty building that reminds me of the buildings in Greece.   We didn't get to go inside as they were closed for rehearsal, but it was still a pretty building and the security guard was nice as he told us no - southern charm at it's best.

We then headed back to the truck and drove down to get a bit to eat.  We went to Hattie B's chicken because the Yelp reviews just raved about it.  The wait was 30 or so minutes, in the sun, with no place to sit down... And it wasn't worth it.  The food was good, but not rock my world, wait in hot sun for 30 minutes, good.   I wouldn't wait again.  I would go if there was no line as the food and service were good - they just were not great.

After lunch we went to the next door cupcake shop to get Mama a cupcake, which was also just ok and then we headed out to our next stop.  The State Capital - the building is pretty and we had intended to stop and look around.  However, finding parking was hard ... Let me digress - parking in this city is insanely expensive!  I paid $10 to go to the museum and then $11 for 2 hours to eat lunch!  That's  $21 just to park my car for less than 6  hours total.... and it wasn't even covered parking - heck one wasn't even paved....   Ok, back to our story.

We weren't finding parking easy and the guy we asked said the closest public parking was down a few blocks at the library.  By this time it was 4 PM and we were both a little tired.  So we decided to skip it. We will be back this way on Saturday with the hop on/off tour and will get the pictures we wanted then - I just didn't feel like dealing with it today.

So we came back to the BNB and took a nap.   After napping we got up and headed out to continue the adventure.

First we went to the George Jones Museum.  It was a really nicely put together museum and i enjoyed seeing his life.   This is Mama's favorite artist so I think she really enjoyed it.   We had planned to eat at the restaurant on the base floor of the building, but it was so loud you could hear the music 3 or 4 blocks away so we decided to eat somewhere else.     The Stillery was on my list from researching for another night so we ate  there.

It was really good!   We ended up eating upstairs in the bar area because it was first come/first serve without a wait. This is where the live band was playing and one thing I really appreciated is that while you could hear them it wasn't over powering to where you could not have a conversation.   We weren't really very hungry, so Jack and I split a pizza.  Mama got a catfish dish - everything was good and the music was enjoyable.  

After we ate we walked across the pedestrian bridge that goes over the river here.  It was a beautiful view of the city and the neighboring vehicle bridge.   The night was just perfect for a river walk and it was  the perfect end to a fabulous day.

We are now back in the BNB and getting ready to get some sleep before we venture out again tomorrow   I hope you are all well and that you enjoy these glimpses into out travels.



No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...