Saturday, May 27, 2017

Nashville Day 3

5/27/2017

I didn't sleep well last night so I woke up grumpy and edgy.  I'd like to say I got past it as the day wore on, but I'll be honest that it overshadowed the day and I was constantly trying to control my reactions that were way over the top at any little thing.    Jack was also not at 100% as one of his kidney stones has decided to make itself known.  However, despite these issues we made it a great day.

First we got up and went to Another Broken Egg.   We had to wait 30 to 40 minutes so Mama sat inside on a bench, I hung around outside and Jack went to get us some sunscreen.   Once we were seated service was extremely slow and didn't really get better through the meal.   That being said the Cinnamon Roll French Toast is still worth it.  This one was a little drier so Charleston still wins for the best, but it was good.   Mama got something she hated, but refused to let me send back and Jack's bacon had to be remade due to being burnt beyond recognition.   I had to track down waiters to get it fixed and was fortunate enough that the guy I asked for help went above and beyond to get it taken care of... or waiter well, I hope it was an off day and he is more on his game tomorrow.

After breakfast we bought our Trolley tickets and headed out.   The first thing we wanted to get off and see was the Ryman.  The media introduction they did was fabulous - it was informational, but also extremely entertaining.  I loved it.  The rest of it was neat -- it didn't really grab my fancy, but I think it was the mood hanging over my head more than anything.   We got our picture made on the stage and walked the pew areas - I will admit it is amazing to be in the same building that you know the greats of country music performed in.

After that we sat and had a snack/drink before heading back to our Trolley stop.  The Trolley was late, which annoyed me, because well everything annoyed me today.   I called to see where they were right as they pulled up.  There were only 3 seats (not together) and we grabbed them...   We proceeded to ride and listen as the driver gave us bits of history about what we were seeing.   The rain came and so we decided to continue to ride vs. getting off and just listen.   After a while we did eventually get off and eat lunch.  We ate at a restaurant called the Urban Cookhouse and it was fabulous!   I had a steak sandwich and oh.... it was delicious.  I think it was my favorite meal of the trip!  They didn't have table service, but still it was sooo good.

After lunch we hopped back on the Trolley and rode back to the area where our car was.   We bought the upgrade for the Trolley so we can use it again tomorrow, bought some souvenirs and headed back to the BNB.

Once here we got cleaned up and dressed before heading out to catch our show at the Grand Ole Opry.   We had to go pick up our tickets first at a Vacation Place I bought them from and once we did that we were on our way.

We had to park quite a ways out and after the rain it was extremely muggy, but all in all it wasn't so bad.  Once there we grabbed some snacks and headed to our seats.   We were seated on the first floor on the very last row.  You think they would be bad seats, but they were really quite good!  And the show, oh the show was so good.  We saw the following acts:


  • Mike Snider
  • The Railers (a new group)
  • Suzy Bogguss - I didn't know her but later did research and now I'm a huge fan.
  • Connie Smith - Wow, what a voice!  Even at her age it was still fabulous.
  • Tracey Lawrence !!!!
  • Bobby Bare - Love him.
  • The Whites - Not so much
  • Ray Stevens - he is so funny!   He is opening a place here and I'd love to come back and check it out.
  • Opry Square Dancers
  • Riders in the Sky - these guys were so funny.
  • Ronnie Milsap - This made my night.  He didn't perform the songs I really wanted him to, but still such a treat!

The show was incredible and by time it was over the grumpy cloud had lifted.

We left the show and went to grab a bite to eat at Caney Fork.  This is a restaurant that serves wild game type food and it was pretty cool.   Mama and I split the seafood platter and I had my first frog leg.   It tasted like twangy chicken - I liked it.   The food overall was good, though they need to improve upon their crabcake.   The service was stellar and the atmosphere was fun, especially given how tired we all were.   They have this indoor pond with huge catfish that we just sat and watched during dinner, I loved it.

And after that we called it a night.  I would have loved to have gone dancing, but I'm just too tired and Jack probably didn't feel like it even if I wasn't... so here I am 12:15 on a Saturday night/Sunday evening barely holding my eyes open so I can type this.  Yep I'm getting old   See you all tomorrow, sleep well blogland.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...