Friday, September 17, 2021

KY Adventure - Day 1

Wow, it's been year's since I've published a travel journal.  I guess that is about right - COVID hit in 2020 and other than a brief beach trip we've pretty much stayed home.  I know there may have been a side jaunt here or there, but nothing major.     Can I tell you it feels good to be back on the road, to have something to share here? Well, it does!

My brother, Donald, is getting married tomorrow near Williamsburg KY.  Given it's  a 6-7 hour trek up here, we haven't traveled in forever, and well because I wanted to we are creating a vacation out of it.  I'm so excited.   

Before I dive in to deep about today though I need to tell you about packing - it was a bit different and I want to remember it.   For some of this trip we will be in a cabin and we plan to cook as restaurants are a good bit away.   The cabin has some basic kitchen stuff, but who wants to be stuck using that?   So I grabbed a big container and brought my 2 Instant Pots, a crockpot, a couple of Cutco knives, my cutting boards, spices that I would need and a few other staples :)   I also brought yoga mats, board games galore, toilet paper and paper towels :)   So yea... not my typical packing.   I probably over packed, heck I know I did, but it will be fun.

Before we get to the cabin though there is the wedding... so we are in a Holiday Inn Express tonight.  We took our time today getting up here though and it was nice.   We started out running the truck to get he brakes/rotors done as I forgot to do it yesterday.  While it was being serviced, we grabbed breakfast, grabbed a few things at Walmart (that I hope made it in the truck 🙄) and then we headed out.

We stopped in Atlanta and checked out the Van Goug Immersive Experience.    There was a bit of trouble with purchasing the tickets - I went to buy it online, but it said there would be a $10 internet fee.  There were several tickets available so I figured I'd just buy them when I got there.   Well  - it was $20 more than the advertised price.    They guy said "it's more if you buy here"...  we paid, walked in and I was like... wait - no!  I pulled up the pricing on there site and it says no where that there is a fee to pay at door more than what was advertised.   It just didn't sit right with me so I headed back and asked for the manager.   It took a bit to get to the right person, but once I did I'm happy to report they made it more than right.  She actually comped me my ticket and thanked me for showing her the issue - so hopefully they will fix it.   Apparently the pricing is set by another party or some something... 

Once that was straightened out I actually breathed and really started enjoying the event.   I know you are probably like  - it's $20 why let it ruin your event.   But it wasn't $20 - it was the principal of false advertising and customer service.  I was kind - so were they and in the end they made it right so... good deal.... anyway I digress

The first section is more like a art museum with paintings, a couple of cool 3D things and info about the artist.  Jack read it - I streamed through.  Though they did serve a flower tea from Japan that I need to find - it was yummy.  Anyone have any ideas?

Next up was the actual experience - it's a room with light projections all around you.   Where they made his art come alive.   We had a seat in a lounge chair and just absorbed his masterpieces for an hour +.  The art of making Van Gogh's pieces come alive like that was a master piece unto itself.   So amazing.  There was a little girl who was running around chasing the light show that appeared on the ground.  She was running all over the place having a great time.   I'll admit to thinking her parents should try to keep her quiet and more contained, but then I remembered how Jesus thought of the children.    I'm no Jesus - Kids are not my jam - but it did reframe it for me and I was able to look at her in a new light.  She had fun, we had fun, it was a win.   

If you are near one of these - they are all over the country - I highly recommend checking it out.  Just buy your tickets online :) 

Next we went for a late lunch at my favorite, Maggiano's.   The waiter was amazing and as always the food was delicious!   It made for a great "date day" with the hubs.

Then we headed on up here to KY.  It was about a 4 hour drive from ATL and was fairly uneventful and quiet.  Neither of us felt like talking much so we just rode.   I drove the last bit and we had to figure out how to adjust the seat differently so my neck stopped screaming.   Since I was on here last I've been having some neck pain and am really careful to hold my neck and posture correctly to mitigate it.  This is the first time I've driven the truck for any length of time since the issue and well the car seat was all wrong - the head rest was pushing  my head forward away from may back and well OUCH !   But after a quick pit stop my amazing husband fixed it and here we are - safe and sound in KY!

Tomorrow we will hopefully do something before the wedding, which doesn't begin until 3.  Not sure yet what that will be.    I'll let you know  - until then, sleep well.   

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...