Sunday, September 19, 2021

KY Adventure - Day 3

 Today was jammed packed and awesome!  We got up, ate the amazing continental breakfast again, said by to Amanda and headed out.   

First stop was Flat Lick Falls.   It was about an hour from the hotel and was AWESOME.  It was a very easy walk to the top of it.  There you found wading pools, moss covered rocks and beautiful forest.   Mama joined us for this part and then she found somewhere to chill and enjoy the area while Jack and I headed down to the bottom.  The trails going down would not have been something she could have done.   The All Trails map showed a longer trail down, but we watched another couple cross the creek and go straight down so that is what we did.   I may have slipped and fell at least once but it was great.   The walk down had a couple of really hairy spots where it was sheer and not very much room to walk on (thus the reason All Trails recommended the other one), but the adventure itself made it fun.  I must say Jack scared me a couple of times getting to close to the edge though.   

The trek down we had several different vista's to stop and take pictures - the falls were tall and narrow and flowing well.  It really was quite neat.    At the bottom was another wading pool and several rocky shoals all surrounded by rocky cliffs and forest.   It was so cool.   Jack and I took the safer path up so we really made the loop - I'm glad we did - I felt like we got to see it all :)   And I wasn't hiking because I stopped every two seconds to take pictures of mushrooms, but I loved it.

Once at the top we met back up with Mama, who by this time had made it to her A/C in her car and headed to the next set of falls, McCammon Falls.  

Now McCammon Falls, read as an "easy trail" on All Trails so I told Mama it would be good... well after we hiked down a pretty steep, uneven, trail we thought - hmmm... maybe not so easy, but by this time she was down and the rest looked pretty straight so I told her to come on.  The worst was probably over....  and as far as going down it was.  However, this trail was not really a trail, but more of a rough path through the woods, next to sheer drop offs.   I almost had 5 heart attacks, thinking she was going to fall, but she did great.   I was the one freaking.     The falls themselves were pretty, there was a house right beside them behind where the trail came out at which I found interesting.   The falls are partly obscured by vegetation and you can't get to the bottom (though people have thrown some trash :( down there).   We were able to walk over to the top area and it is cool...  I'm glad we went, the adventure itself was worth it, even if I have a few more grey hairs.

We left there and headed to Booneville KY.   The plan was to eat at the Ole' Bus Stop Diner, see the visitor center/museum and head to the cabin.   After seeing the town, or lack there, of we decided just to eat and head on.    Lunch was.... interesting.   Mama and Jack both enjoyed theirs, though Mama's hamburger steak was a bit dry.   Mine... well mine was yellow.   Very Yellow.   I ordered Chicken and Dumplings and they bring out something that looks like the color of yellow daisy's.  I kept looking at it - we all took a bite and Mama and Jack said it tasted fine, but I couldn't get past the fact it was yellow.  I finally asked and he said they put yellow food dye in them.... WHY?  Just WHY?    I ate my cabbage a bite or two of my fried apples and a piece of lemon meringue pie and called it done.   Mama insisted on getting the dumplings to go - I'll let you know by the nd of the week if she ate them or not.

We left the restaurant and headed up to the cabin, taking the scenic route.  The roads were windy and I'm sure Jack hated driving that big truck through them, but I enjoyed the ride.    We passed the cabin by accident once we got here and I'm so glad our cabin isn't higher up this gravel road - Mama's car simply wouldn't go up it.   We were on the road past the cabin and her car was just not going to do it.  I ended up backing the car down the road and then saw our cabin and was thinking Jesus it was there and not higher.    We only have 2 parking places so Shannon is parked at the office... overall that is my only issue with the cabin.  It's beautiful, has almost everything we need and is literally in the middle of the woods.

Once we got here we were able to chill for 2-3 hours while Shannon and them were still on there way and I think we all needed it.  Jack and I walked down a bit to the stream... but mainly we relaxed.    Once they here we ran over to Miquel's for pizza.  It's famous around here and I know why - the pizza was really good.   It was raining so we ate in the basement - if I come back I'd love to sit at their outside seating though, it looked so inviting.   

We then went to the grocery store to grab food for the week - we got there about an hour before closing so we were scrambling to get it all.  It was like a scavenger hunt and it was so much fun.  I had tried to do Kroger Clicklist but they don't offer it up here and upon seeing the store I know why.  It's like an old Ingles size store - not very big at all.   After the mad dash though I'm grateful I couldn't order it - the dash to find everything was really so much fun.  Most fun I've ever had grocery shopping.   

Once back at the cabin we all dived in, unloaded, put stuff away and headed to bed.   Its about 12:30 now and I'm no breakfast duty tomorrow with Mama so I plan to get up around 7:45.... so with that goodnight :)


No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...