Monday, August 27, 2018

8/27/18 – Yellowstone Trip – Day 3

Today was a rainy day so our itinerary was a bit busted.   But we enjoyed some of the day – I think maybe we needed this day of rest, so God just put it in for us… even though I would have rather been out and doing, I think we are all tired.  The elevation change has put a whammy on us, but the scenery makes up for it.

We knew it would be rainy, so we slept in a little bit and then headed over to a sit-down breakfast joint called the Virginian.  The host looked exactly like one of our waiters from last night, but he said it wasn’t him.   It could be his twin I tell ya…   Breakfast was good – just good ol’American breakfast with no frills.  I loved it.   The waitress was attentive and the food yummy.

After breakfast we drove down to the National Museum of Wildlife Art.   I’m not much of an “art” person, but some of the pieces were astonishing.  I had hoped they would have a photography exhibit, I mean photography is art and it would fit with wildlife, but no.  It was all paintings and sculpture.   The museum is not large, and we were in and out in about an hour, but it was a nice distraction from the rain.

Afterwards the sun had come out, so we thought we may try to do one of the smaller hikes (less than ½ mile) I had planned so we drove into the park… less than 10 ft in the bottom fell out so we turned around and decided to grab a nap.

We all took some much-needed rest time and then went out to explore Jackson.  It was raining a bit, but the sidewalks are covered so we wondered in the stores and looked at the expensive cloths and art.   We bought a few pieces of inexpensive souvenir stuff before heading out to see the Jackson Hole Museum.  Unfortunately, it is closed on Mondays.  It was originally slated for tomorrow afternoon in our schedule, so I didn’t think to recheck the time… ah well.  

So, we headed back downtown thinking we would enjoy the shootout they do at 6, but right before 6 it started raining again so we went to grab some dinner instead.  We ate at Jackson Drug which is an old Drug store they have made into an ol’ time soda shop with burgers and milk shakes.  The food was delicious.  One thing I’ve noticed out here – the portions are HUGE.  Everything I’ve been served could feed 3 people.     They had a 3 IB burger on the menu and if you could eat it in an hour it was free, otherwise it was $65.    To say the least, I didn’t try.

We are now back in the condo – everyone is resting and doing their own thing.   We check out of here tomorrow and head into the Yellowstone area.   Most of our day will still be in the Grand Tetons though, we will be doing today’s agenda tomorrow- currently we are only at a 10% chance of rain and it’s my prayer that goes down to 0 for the rest of the trip.   

I pray you all are doing well, and we shall chat with you all again tomorrow, until then be blessed!

No comments:

Jamaica Day 2 and Part of 3

I'm relaxed - I mean really relaxed and it feels amazing.  Yesterday after the post they showed us a new room and I was really undecided...