Saturday, February 18, 2017

NY Day 2

2/18/17

NY Travel Journal - Day 2

Well, today was jammed packed.  We got up at 8:45 AM and just got back to the hotel at midnight!  I'm tired, but it was a great day filled with lots of things... If it's ok with you I'll journal them here :)

First, we got up and went down to Tick Tock diner.  This was recommended by a friend and it did not disappoint.  I had the strawberry pancakes.    The wait staff were funny and the food was good.   We then meandered down to the NY Public Library.  On the way, we walked through Bryant Park.  It was quaint and peaceful.  They have an ice skating ring and I enjoyed watching the people skate.   I want to try it but I don't want to get all icky on this trip so maybe another time.   After the park, we made it to the Libary.  This building is an architectural marvel.  It is so ornate and pretty with carved ceilings, paintings, sculpture.  It is just incredible.  I really enjoyed meandering around in it.    

We also go to see the stuffed animals that inspired Winny The Pooh while at the library, which was kinda cool.   At this point, they look like really old, sad, stuffed animals.

On a side note I'm taking a photography class and now am shooting fully manual.   I was determined this trip to stick with it and I have.  It has certainly forced me to learn alot, quickly.  NY is ever changing - you go inside its one lighting situation, take a picture on the street another, take another of the tall buildings, different lighting.   For every lighting, there are several adjustments with my camera I have to make - NY is the perfect place to force yourself to do it!  You aren't going to get it one way and just ride the smooth pony, nope - every 10 minutes of shooting, different situation!    It is frustrating because I'm just learning, but I'm trying to be patient with myself.   I am looking forward to seeing the pictures on my computer when I get home.

But I digress - I'm here to talk about NY, not my lack of camera skills.   After the library, we went down to Rockafeller Center.  It is basically a mall with ice skating - that being said - we enjoyed it.  We got a sandwich, sat down and watches the skaters.   We meandered the halls and just had a good time.  Upon leaving we went out the main entrance and I am so glad we did or we would have missed some of the most beautiful, story-telling murals I've seen in quite some time - they were breathtaking.

Upon exiting Rockafeller we headed down to St. Patricks Cathedral, which is just WOW!  Jack sat inside and just enjoyed the place while I wondered around and took lots of pictures.   It is an absolutely beautiful building - architecture that compares to many of the cathedrals in Europe.  Magnificent - I also loved that I saw many people praying.   So often when Cathedrals are open for visitation they become just tourism destinations so it was nice to see this one being used for prayer.

We then meandered down and saw another church from the outside that was very pretty.   And then we ended our day with a horse-drawn carriage ride around Central Park.   It was expensive for a 45-minute ride, but it was nice to get off of our feet and we saw more of the park than we could have walked today so I'll count it a win.  Our tour guide was Irish and I loved hearing the lilt in his voice.

One our ride was over we decided to go back to the hotel to get ready for our night at the theater.   We got rested for a few, got dressed and were gone again.  We had dinner at Sardis.  The food was great - I had Penne Pasta with Chicken and Jack had the steak.  Both were fabulous!  We had cookies for dessert - I don't recommend those.  Our waiter was fabulous though and he made sure we had plenty of time for our show.   I really liked how attentive he was and it was just an awesome experience.  The restaurant itself has caricatures all around of famous people -- they are all signed so I assume they have all paid the restaurant a visit.  I recognized a few faces, but most I did not.  I'm so out of the loop.

We then headed down to the Gershwin Theater to see Wicked.   The show was fantastic.  I loved the twist of the story and the singing was incredible.   Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it!  I loved it.  Not sure I loved it enough to buy tickets again, because well, they weren't cheap.  But it was an experience I'll treasure.  

We then meandered around Time Square for a few, grabbed some cheap travel souveniers and headed home.   I will say the Metro here sucks!  The signs are confusing and half the time there isn't a sign.   It is frustrating for me but makes my husband furious.   After a couple of mishaps, we are here.... if I had one piece of advice for NYNY it would be to get consistent signs that make sense at all of the Metro Stops and to have the lighted maps inside all of the trains.     But that is just my opinion, I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry!

Overall, we are enjoying the trip.   I'm glad to be off my feet for a bit and plan to go to sleep very soon as tomorrow will be another big day!  Sleep well dear friends.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...