Friday, February 17, 2017

New York

2/17/16
New York Adventure, Day 1

I'll be brief tonight as I need sleep.  I awoke this morning in GA, packed while Jack worked and we left the house around 11:30 headed to the airport.  We received a message our flight would be delayed so we detoured for some lunch first.

We stopped at Buffalo Wild Wings and had a good lunch, although it was boring as Jack was listening to a work call while we ate.  We then headed to the airport only to find our flight was further delayed.   Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things though I was anxious about having to reschedule out of Atlanta.

We took off an hour and half late from Augusta, but when we arrived in Atlanta we found out that flight had been delayed too.  This was a huge blessing to us as it meant we actually could make the flight.  We made our way to the gate and as I went up to ask the ticket agent to sit me next to Jack (without paying out the nose) we found out Jack got upgraded to 1st class - Yay for him.   That of course meant I could not sit next to him.     He offered me the seat, but I fit much better in the coach seats so I went on back and by back - I mean the way back.  I might as well have been in the tail.

My seat partner was nice, but there was a gentleman behind us who had a breathing issue.  For anyone who knows me knows that I have issues with noises.   Any kind of noise - people chewing, breathing, cleaning their fingernails - it just drives me insane or makes me angry depending on the moment.   Not the guys fault by any stretch of the imagination, but 2.5 hours of that was not something I foresaw being a pleasant flight.  I texted Jack and begged for his noise cancelling head phones.  He was kind Aden brought them back to me - problem solved!

We then landed in Newark, got our bags, grabbed and Uber and headed into the city.  Our Uber driver was super nice and even brought me my phone after he dropped us off as I had stupidly left it in his car.     We checked in at the Holiday Inn - downtown Manhattan - corporate discount - $130ish a night!  Can you say WOOT WOOT! :)  

After dropping our luggage in the smallest room this side of the Atlantic we promptly headed out for Pizza.  We ate at NY Pizza Suprema and it was fantastic.  You go through a line - get your slice and then sit down and eat.  It was loud and they expected you to know how it all works.  Which is how I picture NY as being in general.  This is not typically my cup of tea, but when in Rome...

After dinner we walked down to Time Square - enjoying the ambiance, but I'll be honest.  I was cold, tired and just ready to come back to the hotel.  So we headed back - hoping to grab the Subway and get out of the wind.   Can I just say that I remember the NY Subway being easier to navigate?  Maybe it was because we are tired, but it was all very confusing.     Anyway - we are here now.  Safe and warm in our bed.   Tomorrow is a new day and I'm looking forward to enjoying the day.

Sleep well blogland.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...