Sunday, October 25, 2009

Lester & Linda - My Friend - My Mentor

I believe that in everyone's life you can look back on one person who made a difference. One person helped define who you are. In mine their names were Lester & Linda. They were the Pastor's of the first church I ever stepped foot in; they were the people God put in my life at a time when I so desperately needed a calming force. They were God's plan; they were my light in the dark.

Even today Lester and Linda are one of my rocks. The unmovable force that I know when the crap hits the fan I can call. It’s good to know they are there; to know that no matter what there are two people in this world who love me for me. Who know the dark, who know me as well as I know myself and love me anyway.

These are two of the most faithful people I know... people God has used to touch more lives than I can count and today they need your prayers. Lester is having some intestinal issues and had to leave church today mid-service to go to the ER. This is a man that always plays hurt; so for him to leave a church service midway thru; the pain had to be ... well pray. He is home now and has to go back to the Dr., but I ask that you agree with me in prayer today that he will be healed of this. Isaiah 53:5 says that by his (Jesus) strips we are healed, I believing in Jesus name that Lester is going to be healed of this and ask that you agree with me in prayer.

It’s funny looking back at my history with Lester and Linda. I first met them when I was 11 or 12; they were in their early 20's at their first church as Sr. Pastors. It was a tiny church - that church became my second home. I remember thinking of them as the leaders, the "preacher teacher", the elders... They weren't but 7 or 8 years older than me... I wonder now how they did it. How they seemed so sure of themselves - ministering to others, guiding others. When I was 25 I couldn't guide someone out of the bathroom :) ... But seriously, they were where God needed them to be, and they were and still are fulfilling his purpose. I admire them for that - I love them for that.

Lester & Linda will always be my friends, but more than that they are a piece in the foundation that God has laid for my life. Not to mention some dynamite Spade players….

The last few months, since I've gotten back into church, they have been on my mind. This couple...these friends... these rocks. I miss them… I still use them as my guide, spiritually. I find myself going up there to church occasionally; to do a reality check. With Lester I can’t hide… Like God gave him special Lisa vision or something…

I'm trying to find my way back to where I once was in God - or rather to even a higher place in my walk with him- there are emotional hurdles I'm trying so hard to overcome; old haunts I am trying to forget. Don't get me wrong: My faith is firm: I love the Lord God with my heart, I believe his son Jesus Christ came and died for my sins so that I may spend eternity with him and I thank him for it.

However, I struggle in my daily walk. Those that don't know me won't understand and those that do know me may not understand. It’s hard to explain - just know that its heavy on my spirit; its heavy on my mind and I'm trusting God that he will fold me in his arms and help me to walk the path he has chosen for me. That he will help me to draw close to him and to trust him with everything; that I will once again know that unmistakable Joy that exist when you are walking with God; the light bounce in your step that you have when God is your constant companion.

If you’ve never known that Joy; if you’ve never asked Jesus to be the Lord of your life. I pray today that you will.

Lester Get Better soon. You are forbidden from scaring me like that ever again. :) Seriously I love you guys and am trusting God for your speedy recovery.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...