Saturday, October 07, 2023

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really had really good weather on this trip.     The day overall I would say was good, I think we are getting tired though, and are ready for our own beds and creature comforts.  That being said we did get to do some fun stuff today.

We woke up and ate breakfast at the main house of the "lodge" we were staying at.  It was served family style with a lazy susan and we had another couple from the lodge join us.   We had eggs, bacon, toast, and jam - I must say it was quite good.  The bacon was super crispy and I don't typically like buttered bread but this was excellent.   Linda and Jack carried most of the conversation with the couple.   They asked about Atlanta and we shared what it was like.   I was grateful to not have to carry most of the conversation as I really don't find those situations comfortable.

After breakfast we headed to a waterfall on the property; the innkeeper told us where it was and advised it may be a bit treacherous so Mama stayed in the car.   The hike wasn't hard but it was very uneven with roots and then when you got to the bottom to really see it you needed to scramble over some rocks.   I was taking pictures and realized the really good pictures were from a rock island in the middle of the water so I sat there a minute and contemplated.... wade into the water and get the picture or regret not doing it for 20 years so my shoes came off and into the water I went.   It was soooo cold, but also worth it.  I had so much fun; almost fell a couple of times, but seriously fun.   After my mid-water excursion we walked a bit further up for some pictures (I stayed barefoot) and then went back to the car.  Once at the car Jack helped me clean off my feet (such a good man) and got me some clean socks and dry shoes.   

We then headed to the Robbins Hill Scenic area; we got out and walked a tiny bit but the rain and fog hid the view.  I bet on a sunny day it would be beautiful.  We then drove to Skowhegan, then onto Waterville where we saw a beautiful walking bridge, and also briefly visited Fort Halifax State Historic Site.   While walking there it really started to rain and most of us got fairly damp before making it back to the car.

I then somehow put it in the GPS to go to a set cross street given by the Maine book, not realizing it was back in Skowhegan...  So we drove back on different roads; saw gorgeous country and wondered where Augusta was, lol.   Once back we went ahead and stopped at Miller's Table at Maine Grains for lunch.  It was a small farm-to-table restaurant; Mama and I shared a pizza and it was excellent. 

After lunch, Jack picked up driving and we headed to Augusta to see the capital building.  Most of us took a mini-cap nap along the way.    We didn't get out at the capital other than to snap a quick picture; it was of course closed due to it being the weekend and with the weather we just took a picture and moved on.    

After the capital building, we came to the hotel; it's really a full resort, and spent rested for a bit before going to dinner at 7.  We ate at a restaurant owned by the resort - Cyndi's Dockside.  The service was good; most food was fried but options here are fairly limited.  I had a grilled shrimp salad and it was good.

We are now in the hotel getting bags flight ready for tomorrow.  We have a few things planned in the mornign before flying out tomorrow afternoon - here is praying for smooth flights w/o delays.    

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...