Friday, October 06, 2023

Maine - Day 8

 Today we started with an excellent breakfast at 2 Cats Cafe.  Jack chose it because of the name, but the reviews were good and well-deserved.   We got there right at 9 and they were packed, but we were seated outside fairly quickly - actually, the family was seated before I even managed to park the behemoth of a car illegally in the paint store parking lot.  I had to kindly ask a gentleman to back his car up so I could park otherwise I may still be looking for a parking place... 

The same waitress we had at the Italian place last night was there this morning and she was again fabulous.   I had French toast with fruit and it was good; a lot of food - everywhere here is a lot of food, but it was good.   Mama said she wasn't feeling 100% so she didn't love hers, but I think it was her and not the food.  After breakfast, we headed to our reservation at Cadillac Mountain and headed up.  It was super foggy so we didn't really get to see anything.   The fog had its own beauty and everyone was laughing about how they needed to move from one spot to another to make sure they saw all of the fog.     We went to the gift shop; took a few foggy pictures and started to drive down.   As we did the sun began to come out and we got some great pictures of the fog sitting on the mountain. 

We then headed to the Bass Harbor lighthouse in Acadia.   We had to wait in line for a parking place and got to see a deer with antlers while we waited.   Linda and Jack went ahead and hopped out to explore.   Once parked Mama and I walked to the right side and got a few pictures and then she took a nap in the car while we hiked down the more strenuous side with steep stairs and rocks.   The hike was worth it.  When you got to the bottom it reminded me of an adult jungle gym and it was fun to climb around.  When you hiked down to the very bottom the view up to the lighthouse was absolutely amazing.   Beautiful!    On the way back up Linda fell, but luckily didn't hurt anything.  She kinda got stuck and Jack and another gentleman helped her up and then we headed back to the parking lot.

Once in the car, we drove over to a pretty mossy trail for a picnic; it was basically a wooded lot with lots of pretty moss.  It was very peaceful.

We then headed to the hotel which was a 2.5-hour drive west.   Overall the drive was uneventful with lots of great scenery toward the end; we stopped at a bridge and took pictures; took several of the leaves turning along the road and just enjoyed it.   We then arrived at this "lodge".  Of all the places I booked, this was the one I was least confident in, but there aren't many choices around here.   She had called earlier to confirm our appointment and breakfast.   When I told her 9 a.m. she seemed to question it so when I got here she again said 9 - I finally said you obviously want us to have breakfast at a different time; she said well the others are having it at 7:30 to which I promptly said no.   It was a cordial conversation but at the same time weird.   Checkout is at 10 and she was concerned we had another person staying in the lodge w/o paying the 20 fee - I don't mind paying a 20 fee; I find it odd given we have to pay for breakfast separately but ah well.    I paid the 35 and we'll have breakfast at 9 am...   The cabin itself is cute and functional enough for a night.  The couch smells a bt so I'm avoiding it and the bedrooms are a bit tight so we have the luggage in the living room, but for the price and one night, it will do.   The countryside is pretty so that's a win.

Once settled in we visited a while and then drove up to a local restaurant - Patrick's Restaurant and Pub.   You can tell it is a local place and the atmosphere was just comfortable.  I felt no rush; just a nice kickback place to eat.   Jack and I shared a plate of wings and they were really good.  The waiter was serving all the tables solo, but I never felt like I wasn't looked after.  I give it 4-5 stars...  I'd come again :)

Now we are back at the cabin and everyone is settling in for the night.  Tomorrow we head back toward southern Maine and explore along the way.   

Jack said he liked the rocks at the lighthouse; it was pretty.   He loved driving through the countryside, seeing the leaves and the countryside

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...