Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Boston Day 4

9/22/15

Today started out with a bit of disappointment. Mama was sick at her stomach last night and decided to stay at the hotel :(

Jack and I ate breakfast at the hotel and headed out to the JFK Presidential Library. Mama would have really enjoyed this so I tried to take extra pictures. I'm not really a JFK Buff and museums in general are things I speed through - I'm not one to read every fact or ooh and aah over a piece of old silverware. However, I was actively engaged in the JFK Museum and really enjoyed myself. I learned alot about the man and was impressed with his legacy. His inaugural speech -- a thing of beauty.

We spent roughly 2 hours maybe 2.5 going through it -- it could easily have been an all day event.

I then called Mama and determined she was feeling well enough to finish the day with us. I picked her up and we headed out to Lexington. There was a parking snafu and a marital spat and then we continued on our day... Marriage - if you aren't having a spat every now and then, you aren't married.

We took a tour of Lexington and Concord and the narrator was really good. He told us the history and pointed out historical buildings / locations. Everything up here closes at 4:30 it seems, but we saw the highlights.

Highlights included:

1) Slight drive into Minute Man National Park
2) Lexington Battle Green (first casualties of the revolution were here)
3) Outside of Hancock Clark House, Buckman Tavern, Manse House
4) North Bridge
5) Area Shot was heard started around the world -- first time Minutemen were ordered and fired based on orders against the British Crown
6) Minute Men Statue

We also walked the quaint streets of Lexington and enjoyed the crisp fall day before heading back to Boston. I must say I thought the leaves would be turning by now, but everything is still very green.

We then headed back to the hotel. Our day was wrapping up early and Mama was set to go back to Dr tomorrow -- a jamp packed day so we went ahead and stopped in today. They saw her and now she has a clean bill of health - we can change her bandage, no need to go back. YAY

We then took the hotel shuttle to the metro; replaced Mama's lost metro pass (Im keeping the new one) and headed into Boston. We ate at a Irish Pub called Emmetts Irish Pub. It came with a real Irishman :) The food was good, the atmosphere lively and it wasn't a chain we could get at home so WIN :) Mama got a hamburger, Jack a Sheppard Pie and I got a chicken dish. All were really good though I have to admit that I wasn't overly hungry.

We are now tucked safe back in our beds and tomorrow the adventure continues in Salem. Witches - oh my!

Hope all is well with you.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...