Sunday, August 18, 2013

Washington DC Day 1

This was written a month or so after we got back so my memories aren't as fresh as they were – should have done it sooner, but such is life.   We arrived on Thursday night around 10 pm and all of us were tired – then I didn't sleep well that night so our Friday was tempered by the fact that most of us were running on steam that and the fact it was raining when we got started.   However we overcame and overall had a pretty good day – even if I did start out grumpy.

We got up and left the hotel around 7:30, headed to the Metro and headed to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to get our tickets so we could see money being made later in the day.  This was Kaylee’s first metro ride and I hope she enjoyed it – through the trip it was really hard to tell if she was super bored or just not enthusiastic.   I did the best I could so I’m not going to worry about it, but I digress.

We got our tickets and then headed to Le Bon Café which is right down the street from the US Capital and had rave reviews online – they weren't wrong.  It was just a tiny café, you ordered at the counter and they brought it to you.  Nothing fancy, but the food was absolutely delicious.  I got French toast and loved it.    Then we headed to the Capital Building and were fortunate enough to get a tour even without reservations.     It was interesting hearing her talk about the different things with the capital, the empty tomb meant for George Washington (typical Gov’t forgot to plan and ask if he wanted to be buried there), the fact that states send statues for display and the gorgeous architecture.   Jack and I saw the outside last time were in DC, but this was my first visit inside.

After our tour we walked through the tunnel to the Library of Congress and WOW!  It was amazing; I want to go back and spend an entire day in here just looking at the architecture and exploring.  We took a tour and stayed through most of it, but as we were all dragging and Kaylee was bored out of her mind we did skip out of it a little early, but oh I want to go back.   The color and beauty is just astounding. 

We headed down and ate lunch at the Café in the Supreme Court Building – the food was good, but they really need a better organizational system.  There are different lines for the different food depending on what you want (salad, hamburger, stir fry), but no marking as to where to go or that there even is different lines.   It was stressful but the food was great – I had a chicken noodle dish that was cooked to order – awesome!
After that we headed up to actually see the Supreme Court building – very solemn and graceful.   We sat in on a lecture where they explained all the procedure that goes with the court, most of it pomp and circumstance, but it was interesting and it got us off of our feet for a bit! 

Once we finished with that we had a little bit of energy from sitting and were ready to catch our tour to see the money being made.   We got there a little early and were able to exchange our tickets, which was great.   The tour was alright – Jack absolutely loved it, the rest of us were less impressed – but each to his own J  It was cool to see I guess, but I just expected something different, not sure what.

Then we headed to Georgetown for Pizza.  We ate at Pizzeria Paradiso (again due to Internet reviews) and it was worth it.  We got there and had to wait for a table… the trip there required quite a bit of walking, or we were just so tired by then that an inch would have been quite a bit – unsure which is which.  Anyway, once we got there and were waiting for a table outside there was this little 2 year old boy that kept running up and kissing Kaylee’s knee, it was so cute.   He had a crush, it was so cute J
After dinner we headed back to the hotel and I collapsed in my bed not to be seen till Morning – Jack went to Target for some stuff, a bag, some other items we needed but I was so tired I don’t even remember him getting back.    


And that was all in day 1 J  I didn't take as many pictures as I normally would – was tired and some areas you couldn't take pictures in.  Plus it was low lighting in some areas and I just didn't feel like stressing about it so I didn't.    The ones I did take are above though, enjoy!  

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...