Sunday, September 30, 2012

Italy Day 6


Italy Day 6

Today was a jam packed day.  We left the hotel @ 8AM and walked to the dock where we hopped a boat to an area near the city center.  We then walked to St.  Marks square and took a tour of the Dogass Palace, the jail and St. Marcs church.
We then went to a glass blowing shop and saw how it was made – it was really neat.  However, Venetian glass is very expensive, I saw a Chandelier for 27,000 Euros!
We walked around and window shopped a bit, then met back with some of our group to go to Burano Island where they are known for their lace.  We had a good lunch, though it was a bit fishy for me and then walked the shops.  I bought a few things and generally had a good time though I admit I as getting tired.   We then hopped on the boat and came back to the mainland.  The trip over we sat on the top, but this time the inside bench made a good bed.
Once we got back to the main island we had some time on our own.  We took a good hour and ½ meandering back to the hotel.   It was nice and we shopped a bit along the way (Mama haggled).  I love Venice, the relaxing nature of it, even if it is crowded.
We then came upstairs and got a shower, by this time I was beat.  We relaxed for a bit in the room and then decided to go outside.  We ran into other people from the tour downstairs in the lobby and spent a good hour visiting.  It was great – this group is so inclusive, I love it.
Jack & I took a stroll outside with Doug, one of the guys from our group.  We were delighted to find a street performer (fire).  It was a mazing & still the day is not over.  When we got back to the hotel we met up with Mike & Jenny, another couple from our group.   We went up to the balcony and talked or two more hours.  It was really a great evening.  Jam packed day, but I loved it.  Now I must sleep.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...