Saturday, February 15, 2014

Ice Saga Day 2

I want to start this post off by saying - WOW!  The preacher tonight, though difficult to follow at times, drove one simple point home - treat others better than you treat yourself.   I thought to myself as he was preaching this, that he was preaching to the choir that surrounded me for today the embodied this philosophy in such a way that I was left breathless.

Last night during the earthquake chat Ashley asked if there was anything they could do to help to let them know.   I told her we would welcome a chainsaw and some hands... the conversation ended with that.   I figured if they could come they would but didn't really get my hopes up - figured it would be us, Ty and Alice working along.   Not that they aren't phenomenal, just assumed it would be us.   So this AM at 9:00 Chris, Ashley's husband, texted asking when to meet.  Talk about blown away, we had an extra hand coming - WOW, I was blown away at that and so thankful.

I did post on facebook, more in jest than for reals saying - Free Pizza for anyone that can come lend a chainsaw / hands, cleanup starts at 10:30 or something like that... I know everyone had their own yards to attend to so I figured it would be Chris, us and Alice / Ty when they could, but the text kept rolling in.  Rusty needed help so Ely and Tom went over there.  Chris stated Ashley and Haize would be by later and I well I can't just tell you the feeling.   Venee texted Jack offering to help... I mean it just kept rolling in.

At the end of the day there were 10 of us pounding away at this disaster of a yard: Myself, Jack, Ashley, Haize, Chris, Venee, Ely, Tom, Rusty & Ty (in no particular order).  We made more progress in one day than Jack and I could have made in a month.  All of these people had things they could have been doing, they could have been enjoying their families, catching up on weekend errands - anything but helping us, yet here they were - sweating and pulling muscles - almost flipping four wheelers - cleaning off leaves from my porch roof - pulling daggers out of my roof - picking up limbs - chainsawing like no ones business - wenching trees! These amazing souls who donated there time and effort for a friend.

Two of these people we had not ever even met face to face, only via the computer and knowing we were part of the same church family, yet they came.   One works for my husband and has a new wife at home, yet they came, two had sweated to death already at they gym, yet they came, others had business and yards to clean up of their own, yet they came.     I am more grateful to them than they will ever know.  I can pull into my drive now without looking at it in misery - I know there is an end, we will get it back to where it was, all will be ok.  I love them and I will never forget them taking the time to lend a helping hand - whenever and wherever they need us we will be there, just say the word.

There is still much to do, but I now have faith we can do it.  The roof is going to have to be replaced, given there is a 4 to 6 inch hole in it, but God knew I needed a new one.  I prayed - God protect the house and protect the cars and he did just that.   He kept the promise that whatever we ask  in his name he will give - he knew our needs and he covered us in his umbrella of protection.   I know there are many suffering now and I don't mean to demean that in anyway - this has been a true disaster down here in many ways, but for me it was a lesson from God.  One I will treasure and remember forever.

Cleanup to be continued, but with a smile on my face and hope in my heart.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...