Friday, June 17, 2022

Italy Day 14

 So this is the last day of our trip and my last travel journal for it - tomorrow will be a long day of flights and grumpy people, but we will be home by  12 AM EST on Sunday morning if not a few minutes before.  I miss my kitties, my bed, and my pillow.

But it's important to not skip past today in our rush to get home because it was good.   Admittedly all of us were tempted to skip and stay home but we went and despite the heat I'm grateful.  We started the day with a trip to Monreal to see the Norman Cathedral.   The walk was uphill so we paid for a taxi to take the three of us vs. walking; it was fun  - these taxis go on roads the bus can't and they zip here and there with such speed, yet never hitting anything - it amazes me.   I mean some of the places they fit cars into are just - WOW.

Once at the top we took a few pictures and bought a couple of souvenirs while we waited on everyone else.   Then we went into the Cathedral which was dark but loaded with gold-looking mosaics that were really incredible.  Nothing was painted - they were tiny pieces of stone to make these gorgeous stories from the bible in picture form.   I prefer lighter churches that bring joy and this one had a darker feel to it but it was magnificent. 

We then meandered down the hill everyone walked up and did some souvenir shopping and just enjoyed our visit.  Several of the shop owners were Indian and wanted to haggle so I didn't get a couple of things I wanted - I hate haggling.  But we did get a couple of gifts for family at this one cute shop and the guy was so nice.

Then we drove down the hill to another Cathedral which had been stripped of all the baroque influence and was light with paintings and marble.  It had a lot of light and I thought it was beautiful. 

Then we headed to a market - and she was going to show us another church but by that time everyone was hot and miserable so we just skipped the church and walked around the market.  I expected a vendor market; instead, it was a vegetable/meat/fish market and it was crowded and busy with fish smell in the heat.... so yea not my favorite.  That being said the vegetables and fruits looked so amazing; so much healthier than what we see back home.   I don't like crowds and I hate the smell of fish so we found a restaurant and sat down.

It was kinda cool - they had this buffet-type thing where you pointed to what you wanted; then they brought it to you at the table.  I had pasta in a spinach leaf; fried onions; sauteed mushrooms; and a Caprese salad - it was all delicious!   If it wasn't for the heat I would have said it was perfect.

We then wandered out and found the rest of our group at another restaurant that served gelato - so we grabbed one and sat down while we waited for the others.   A breeze was blowing a bit which helped, but still, it was miserable hot.

We then went back to the bus and came back to the hotel for a siesta before dinner.

Before going to dinner we went to a palace and were met by a Prince.   They need help with paying for the upkeep so they have opened it up to the public.  He gave us a mini-tour and then served us ice cream and peach tea.   The home was neat and he has some amazing pieces of furniture and chandeliers.   From the outside you wouldn't have really known it was a palace, but once inside the walls...   I actually enjoyed it and he seemed nice.  His mother normally gives the tours but she was in hospital so he gave it and the niece and nephew helped with the ice cream as the butler had an injury.   Yes - the butler...   It was great.

We had taken another taxi to the palace but we walked back with the group to the restaurant.   We took pictures and walked on streets busting with people.  The cities here are just alive in a way I have never experienced in the States.  It's an energy that is palpable and contagious - I love it.

Dinner was excellent and we once again sat with Jim and his wife Joan.  They really are amazing people and I do really hope we stay in touch.     Now I'm going to try and get an hour or two of sleep - we have to leave at 3 AM to catch our flight...

Thank good thoughts for us tomorrow!

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...