Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Italy Day 12

This morning we began our day with breakfast at the hotel as normal before heading up to Mt Etna.   This is an active volcano and was extremely interesting.  On our way up to the Volcano, we stopped at Zafferana Etna.  It was a little town with an amazing overlook and an awesome church named Chiesa Madre Di Santa Maria Della Provvidenza.  It was really pretty and welcoming with white ceilings white marble floors and just well nice.  The doors were also unique.  They had these great carvings on them and would open all the way to the top with was probably 10 - 15 feet - then behind that were the glass ones that could also open.   It was a nice brief stop and allowed everyone to also go to the bathroom before we headed on up to the volcano.

The volcano itself was extremely cool.  The black lava rock was pretty and the flowers popping up out of it were beautiful.  The records are such that they can tell you which lava was from which eruption - this is 2003 lave, this 1642 lava (or something like that)... I didn't pay too much attention other than it was pretty and the views amazing.  I love how vegetation is here everywhere and it's not tamed and 1/2 of it produces an edible fruit of some type.   Mama and I walked in tandem with her O2 on my back which is always an adventure, but the rock was going to be difficult with her little cart and her back hasn't been 100% here so off we went.  It makes for lots of laughs if nothing else.   

After the volcano, we headed to a jewelry store, Girrae and they showed us how jewelry was made.   They, of course, offered discounts to buy but I had no desire to spend 1000 euros on earrings even if they were gorgeous.   They then served us lunch on a veranda.  The food was good but I didn't care for the atmosphere - I know Globus had some type of deal with them and they weren't feeding us for free, but given I didn't buy anything it felt off.   My own mental thing... but that being said the food was good.   Jack and Mama tried a coke which apparently was horrible but everything I had was amazing.

And then we came back to the hotel and I promptly took a nap - a long nap.   After waking up we went to the store to exchange some clothes Mama bought me yesterday for my birthday.  The ones she got were not sized ok but I got this gorgeous green skirt and a black one that I just love.   And the shopkeeper made the experience fun!  I was the center of attention as they helped me pick out clothes, at first it felt weird but I got into it and had a great time. 

We then came back to the hotel, sat on the patio, and visited with a few from our tour group before heading to a nice relaxing dinner at a local restaurant called Skida - I had a light bruschetta and Caprese salad which was perfect.  Plus we were outside and it was just relaxing with some conversation and some silence which I think we all need.    As an introvert at heart, I need a couple of people's free days when we get home.

We are about to get the bags together for the night as we leave this palace early tomorrow for Palermo. It's a long day of traveling with an archaeological site along the way.  It is supposed to be hot so pray Mama's breathing is ok - or even better pray it isn't as hot as they say it will be. 

TIl tomorrow, sleep well.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...