Saturday, June 11, 2022

Italy Day 8

Today was really special.  We got up and Mama's back was spasming - it started bad last night and I'll be honest I was worried it was going to be a rough day, but once again God provided.   The meds and oils and gels we have with us were all applied and thank the good Lord they worked.   We ate breakfast and then headed out to a small village Alberobello.

This place is so amazing.  It's all these little huts built with nothing but stone.  There are two walls - one on the outside that is only stone and then one on the inside that is finished and super nice.   They would dig out from under all the rock and the space under the home held the water they stored in the rainy season.  Up until the time of WW2 they had no running water and even after that the area was in abject poverty.   

Then it came to light that during the later part of the 19th century that these people lived in 3rd world conditions; Italy's little dirty laundry.  So they forced the people out of their homes -those that couldn't have a bathroom added and were not too small and put them in a form of gov't housing.   It was "better" for them, and probably right.  But if you are in your home one day and being forced out the next - is it really better? 

Some residents still live in the area; their trullios were large enough or could have a bathroom added.   We met a couple today.   Some have embraced tourism and others hate us, but we do bring money into the area and that is good.   The town itself is just ... well charming isn't the word, it is, but it's so much more.  I'd love to spend a weekend in this little village.  It was so cute.   

We went into one of the Trullio buildings and it really was nice.  The couple that owned it were so welcoming and make their money by opening their former home.  They now live in an apartment nearby.   One of their neighbors still lives there and had his door open with cherries for us to try if we donated money; it's the crop his family produces.   They were so yummy and his little courtyard was amazing.

I could seriously just stay here and our tour guide was just awesome.  I normally tune them out after 10 minutes, but he really grabbed my interest and I actively listened while taking my photos.

After the guide, we meandered into the commercial section where many houses have been converted into little shops.  We bought a few things and then sat down and had a gelato and enjoyed the day.

We then hopped back on the bus and came back to the hotel.   WE needed a few lady necessities so I used google translate to ask the receptionist and she sent us to the pharmacy 20 minutes away; well 25.  I asked Jack if he wanted to go and he said do I need to or can I stay here to which I answered "do you trust me to wander off in a strange country by myself......." no other words were needed as he hopped up and helped me find my way.  For those that don't know I get lost in my own kitchen.

We walked all the way to the pharmacy to only find them closed, but right next to it was a grocery store and they had what we needed + some.  We ended up also getting water and snacks.   I felt like I was taking a tour of their everyday life and I loved it.

You pay for your bags here, 10 cents each, and the cashier checks out 2 lanes at once.    It really is a cool system.

Once we made our way back I got a shower and got off my feet for a few before we headed out again.   we drove to a little town called Locorotondo and it was so cute.  The "promenade" which is a walkway along the scenic farmland was just breathtaking.  And then we meandered through the tiny town for a few minutes before heading to dinner.  I really did love it!

Afterward, we went to a local Masseria and were treated to a live show from their cultural past by some young people before dinner.  And the dinner - Oh my heavens.  So much food!  Just the appetizers were 10 different dishes, enough for everyone to try everything.  Then we had pasta with roast beef, then salad, then the meat course followed by fruit!  It was soooo much food and oh so good.  In the end, they brought out this cherry liquor that tasted like cough syrup, lol.  Other than that everything was really good and the atmosphere was amazing.  We were the only group and we were sat outside under the grapevines overlooking the landscape.  It was really really amazing!   Such a special night. 

Now it's time for a good night's sleep and an early day tomorrow.   We have to be ready by 6:45.     So good night!

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...