Sunday, June 12, 2022

Italy Day 9

Today was largely a travel day and it was good.  I couldn't keep my eyes open on the bus; I would have loved to look at the scenery because the fields of wheat, olives, and other fruits were gorgeous as was the occasional sea viewing, but my eyes closed more often than not.

Breakfast this morning was amazing, it was out on the patio and the atmosphere was nice.   We left super early; so I can't say I was in the best mood but the atmosphere was nice.

We then drove a few hours to Matera.  It was a town largely built inside of caves with facades on the front to make it look like buildings.  It was mainly a brief picture stop with a restroom break, but we did go into the bathrooms, which were in a cave as well as a souvenir shop, in a cave.  Everything is in caves here.

After this, we got back on the bus and drove another couple of hours to a truck stop for lunch.  I know not fancy, but it's largely a travel day and it was actually nice.  We had 40 minutes and the food was reasonable, the atmosphere quiet and well - I thought it was kinda perfect.  Just plain and simple.  I had a pizza and tried a dessert thing. The pizza was ok, but the dessert was yucky lol.   Food adventurer, I am not.

We then drove another couple of hours to Pizzo Calabro.  It was a close call as the driver made a wrong turn (due to a policeman waving him on) and got on some streets he really didn't fit on.  He had to back up and almost got us stuck between two buildings, but man he is amazing and we got out of it and on our way.   We parked and then walked down this steep incline to the city area for a Tartufo. It is an ice cream chocolate dessert that was really rich.  I liked it but could only eat a tiny bit.   We then went and took some pictures before going back to the bus.  Due to the steep incline we got these little carts to take us back up - they were 5 euros each and they were so much fun.  He took us around the city at like 40 miles an hour on these motor carts with 3 people in the back trolly and he sang.  He and the other driver were honking back and forth music to each other - it was so much fun!   It may be one of my favorite moments of the trip.

We then headed to our hotel in Calabria.  This area is largely run by the mafia and much of it is not good to be in, but where we are is safe and the hotel seems nice.   There is a walk by the sea and the people on Sundays go promenade much like you read about in English Victoria.   

Once here we got checked in and went to see the Broniz di Riace sculptures at the museum.  They were awesome, the guide that droned on about them for an hour was not - I mean how much can you say about two sculptures.  I tuned him out and just took my pictures.   They were cool though.

Jack and I then went for a brief walk on the promenade and got ready for dinner.   Dinner was on the rooftop garden, which was gorgeous and Mama was happy because it was basically beef tenderloin with potatoes.   As close to southern as you will see over here.  After dinner, Jack and I went next door and got gelato and now we are getting ready for a good night's sleep.  I hope you all are well.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...