Thursday, June 16, 2022

Italy Day 13

 We left the resort this morning on our way to Palermo - it was a super early start and I hated to leave the ocean view behind, but alas it was time.   Most of the day was driving with a couple of bathroom/lunch stops and one stop at the Valley of Temples.  That place was really cool with an intact Greek temple that was still original without having to be rebuilt; it had been converted to a church and therefore saved.   It was hot - really hot, but a breeze was blowing and the majority of it was downhill.   So while it was miserable it was doable for Mama.   I think she enjoyed it despite the heat.

The drive over here from the coast was dotted with gorgeous landscapes and just picturesque scenery.

Once we got to Palermo I was once again taken away by how dirty the cities are; trash is just everywhere.   Part of it is they don't really care and part of it is the Mafia controls trash collection.  The trash-collecting by the bins - Mafia's fault where they are teaching someone a lesson.  The trash littering the streets - is just not something that concerns them.  It makes me sad.

After a brief rest, we left for a seafood dinner with all kinds of fish.  Jack stayed away and had alternative choices, but I tried everything - some of which I could recognize.  I had octopus, squid, swordfish, shrimp, cod, and then 2 or three things I had no idea what they were.  I can't say it was my favorite meal, but I tried it and enjoyed the company.  

Afterward, there was a gorgeous sunset on the water that was just fabulous. 

We then drove back, Mama went to bed and Jack and I wandered down to the city center.  It was 9:30 at night and the streets were alive with markets, families, and couples strolling - it was great.  This, I told Jack is Italy - not the tourist sights, but this - the heart.   I bought some sea glass earrings from a local vendor that will probably turn my ears green and we headed back to get some rest.

Tomorrow we tour Palermo and some areas around it.    Until then - sleep well.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...