Monday, June 06, 2022

Italy Day 3

This morning we got up super early; luggage had to be out of our room by 7 and we had to eat breakfast and be on the bus by 7:45.    We had the continental breakfast at the hotel - we sat with a nice couple from NJ - Jim and Jane, I hope it was Jane.  My memory of names is atrocious.  Anyway, they are part of our tour group and it was nice to chit-chat.   

This time I got smart and filled up one of the milk jugs with coffee so I would have refills.   Breakfast was a nice event and then we were on the bus.  It is a smaller tour so we are all able to spread out and have our own window seats; which is nice.  

We drove out of Rome and went for a private tour of the Papal Palace and the Barberini Gardens.   We were really quite blessed.   The walk up the hill to the Palace is quite steep and normally there is no choice but to walk it as the bus service is unreliable.   This morning, God looked out for us though and the bus pulled up right as we did.  So for 1 Euro Mama and I were able to ride a trolly to the top.  I'm not sure she would have been able to enjoy the rest of the day had she walked up the hill as it was extreme.   The guide said he has never had the bus arrive at that time.  God was really looking out.

When we got up to the palace they allowed Mama and I to avoid the steps and go through another section which again was a blessing!   The guide is really going out of his way to make sure she has a great trip and for that I am appreciative.    

We walked through the palace which is owned by the Vatican and is his summer home.   The guards had to be with us at all times as we went through the roped-off areas.  They never rushed me when I took my pictures though; I had to keep up with the group of course, but they were kind.

We then went to the gardens and took a trolly tour of it.  I wish I could have gotten out and walked the grounds as they were really pretty, but that was not allowed.  We were able to get out a couple of times and take a few photos.  Mama was quick to go to the shade each time - the heat here is intense and it's hitting her hard, but I think she is having a good time.  At the end of the tour, we were provided a nice lunch outside in a gazebo-type thing.  The breeze was blowing and it was really peaceful.   

After lunch I went to walk around a bit and the tour guide warned me not to go far - he literally said you are on Vatican property and they have snipers, they do not play with people wandering.  He grinned but at the same time, he was quite serious I was not to go off on my own at all.   The guard motioned I could go a bit and to the right, while speaking Italian, our guide translated that he was giving me permission to go stand on the balcony they have to take a few pictures which I did and quickly came back.  The last thing I need is problems with the Vatican police.   It was really a pretty peak with great views and the gardens were great.   I loved the fact that while some parts were reserved, others were extremely wild and allowed to be that way, I loved it!

After lunch, they gave us a ride to the exit and we had to walk down the hill to the bus.  Even going down with only a couple of small inclines was rough on her and by the end, she was hurting.  Jack walked up the hill so he has more steps than Mama and myself and he is currently at 10,000.   So I'd say she probably has done 6,000... give or take given as Jack and I have also walked the grounds here.   2 years ago she wouldn't have broken a sweat - well she would have because of the heat, but it's showing that she is slowing a bit, and it's a bit hard to see.  It's the truth though - we knew it was coming.  Just hard to see it's here.  

But enough of that...  after our walk we then drove a good distance to our current location on the Sorrento Coast.  This hotel is literally right on the coast and I'm sitting on a patio staring over the Tyrrhenian Sea at Mount Vesuvius.  I can step down and be on a small beach that is next to rocks.  The sand seems different than on the FL coast - it is rougher and not as white; rockier I guess.

The hotel itself other than the location is nothing special, but well the location makes up for it :)  We have the evening here and plan to just rest, eat some dinner at the hotel, and well chill.   Mama is currently napping and trying to get her leg swelling to go down a bit.  


No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...