Sunday, January 29, 2023

Dominican Republic Day 2

Oh, today - it's so hard to recap in such a way that will make an interesting read, but at the same time, it was perfection encapsulated in a day.   We woke up super early - like 7:45 am; if you know me that is insane.  Now granted that is 8:45 EST but still.   I got up ordered a prebreakfast (coffee and fruit) and just relaxed.   I went outside and moved some cushions so I could enjoy the sun.  It rained last night apparently so most of the cushions were soaked.   

The guy came with the fruit and coffee - Jack and I sat in the dining room inside and ate while watching the water out the window.  Jack then went to lay back down to rest/read and I decided to spend some time with the Father.  I restarted, for like the 4th time, my study of Ephesians and just rested in him.  It was nice.  

Jack then got up, got a shower, and then we did yoga on the patio to Beachbody on my laptop.  I had asked the butler to have a second,  real breakfast arrive around 10:45 and we finished yoga just a few minutes before - it was a nice start to the day.  Breakfast was yummy and restful to just sit and relax in our little house by the beach.     We then shifted from inside to outside to sit/rest some more.  I know riveting reading, huh?  But it was so nice...

We then asked our butler to take care of a couple of things with the house.  The fans weren't working and we wanted them to come while we went out.  He also had the cleaners come.... so they came and we left.  We wandered around the property and explored.   We found hidden alcoves; places with amazing views and restaurants we want to try.  We smiled at the water or a bird sitting on a float - we just enjoyed it.

We then stopped at the buffet restaurant and ate.  She wanted to sit us in the sun and I asked if we could sit in the shade outside... she didn't have a table in the shade set up with dishes - no worries.  She moved and set up a new table.     Just so nice and accommodating.   The buffet was a little stressful in I wasn't sure what I wanted or what much of it was... and people were milling around and the wait staff looked at me expectantly like I should know what I was doing, but I got through it - ordered me some pasta with red sauce and peppers and went to sit at my table in the shade.   We watched the birds play in the vines overhead, watched them drink from the fountain, and just enjoyed... The view was stellar. 

We then meandered back to the room where I took a nap... Jack set outside and read.

Around 5 I got up and we went down for a salsa lesson.   They do it a bit differently here in that he instructs to start with the right instead of the left so that was a bit odd.  I think Jack and I will go back to our US version, but it was fun and a good little workout.

We then headed back to the room to rest and clean up a bit before dinner.   

Dinner was at the Italian restaurant and can I just say it was the best meal I've had in quite some time.  

We started with:

  • Fresh Burrata - not so great... they swapped it out for the antipasto which was yummy.
  • Dried Fruit and Shrimp Couscous - this was so good!
We then had the main course.  Jack had filet milanese which he enjoyed.  I thought it was ok.  I on the other hand had a sea bream filet and oh my!  it was amazing.  It was served with onion, chickpeas spinach with fennel raises, and pine nuts.  I'm telling you this is the best dish I've had in; well I can't remember when.  It beat any food I had in southern Italy last year.   It was so good! 

We then ordered desserts.  They were a little rich for me, but no worries - they have an ice cream shop nearby where we got sherberts at that were just light enough.   We wandered down - got the ice cream and then went back to the area overlooking the pools/ocean to eat and spend some time before the evening entertainment.

Then we went to the show. The staff did the 60s, 70s, and 80s musical show.  It had moments of cringe-worthy things - like you are embarrassed for them and trying not to laugh at them.  Think - people lip-syncing Grease and trying to emulate the famous Sandy dance with the black pants and cigarette.   Then it had ones that were really good and others that were just fun - it's raining men was just - I laugh and cringe thinking about it.  I gotta say - there were 3 guys dancing around shirtless and only 1 of them really should have been, but the other two were all confident and owned it.   It was all in good fun and you couldn't help but grin.  Oh and on some dances, there were 4 guys and one guy was really new - you could tell.  He kept watching the others and was a little delayed on all the moves.  It was so sweet; I wanted to put him in my pocket and check on him like a teddy bear.   

Most of the people in the show were armatures and probably do other things around here.   There were two thought that you could tell were professionally trained.  This one woman was amazing - her frame in her dance was solid and we've been around dance enough to know she had training.   It then became obvious when she and he stepped out to do a ballet number to the song from the movie, The Body Guard by Whitney Houston. They were truly talented. 

All that being said please don't hear me wrong - it was great.  I'm writing most of the little nuance things so I remember it personally; not to make fun or criticize.   I grinned through 90 % of it and Jack said he loved watching my expressions.   Their intent was to bring us joy and give us memories - they 1000% succeeded.

We then came back to the room and are about to go to sleep.  As I said, not the most riveting day to read about I'm sure but such a great day to live.   I'm grateful for this time of rest and rejuvenation.  I pray I carry it with me when I get home.

I pray that you all are well and that the Lord grants you a good night's rest and that he gives you joy in the morning that is unbeatable.   Sleep well, friends. 

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...