Sunday, May 19, 2024

California Trip Day 1 & 2

 5/18/24

Not much to say about today other than planes, planes, and more planes.   Overall the trip from GA to LA was long but uneventful.  The only thing I will say is that people are still good.   The chaos to get from baggage claim to where the rental cars is a lot.  You have to get on a bus, with your bags, and then they take you to baggage claim.  Imagine a jam-packed subway and you are trying to get 3 large bags, 3 carry-ons, and a walker... Plus deal with crowds and an elderly person.  

We were blessed though, people moved for Mama and I to sit and a gentlemen jumped off and helped Jack with the bags.  People went out of their way on multiple fronts to be kind.   The chaos was immense and brought out a mini emotional storm for me as they can cause panic attacks, but it could have been so much worse and I thank God for that kind man today and will every time I think of him.

The Airbnb is nice and right across from The Egyptian Theater in Hollywood.   So a great location though a little sketchy at night; the building has 24-hour security though so, another blessing.

5/19/24

Today was really great.  We started at 7 am and walked down to The Breakfast Club for breakfast; taking our time and checking out the Hollywood stars that are on the pavement and enjoying the fact very few people were out.   There were some homeless that broke my heart to see - I wish that was something we could solve in this country.  Everyone deserves at least a private room, kitchenette, and bathroom... I pray we make a fundamental shift as a country and begin to take care of our neighbors.

After breakfast, we met up with Darnell at our Airbnb.  We had a private tour of the area that took literally all day; we got back here at around 6 pm. I wanted to take this to decide some of the areas we want to go back to and I'm really glad I did.  

Our tour guide was Darnell and he was amazing.   So funny and animated.   He has a bit of road rage but it was comedy in action so... all good.

We saw Venice Beach - I saw it, I am good :)

We saw Santa Monica Pier - I want to go back one evening this week and spend a bit more time and also see the sunset.

We had a tour of the Beverly Hills area with all the fancy houses that you couldn't really see.

We went to Beverly Gardens Park and took a picture in front of the sign.  There was also an extremely old and large fig tree that was cool.  It is the Moreton Bay Fig Tree and was planted between 1910 and 1914.

We went to the Greystone Mansion & Gardens - I want to go back there and spend some time.

We went to the Piece Memorial Gardens where several famous people are laid to rest including Marilyn Monroe. 

We ate lunch at the original farmers market and went down to the Grove.   I wish we had known the Groe had restaurants ... we would have eaten with table service.  The farmers market while great was overwhelming and stressful to me.     Jack got a milkshake though and they made it with real ice cream and milk; soooo good.

We drove up Rodeo Drive which wasn't all that impressive to me...just too much money being spent on useless things.

We went to the Hollywood sign on a lesser-known trail and got some great pictures.

We went to the Dolby Theater (which is within walking distance of our Airbnb) and I want to go back in the early morning before people crowd it.

We went to the Chinese theater which was neat to see the footprints and hand prints.

Once back at the Airbnb, we realized my phone was missing.   I left it in the tour guide's car.  Luckily we were able to get in touch with him and he brought it back to me.  God is good.

Jack and I also walked down to Target and got a few things... it never fails when taking a trip that you need something, lol.

Overall it was an enjoyable day.  We are tired though and are going to bed early.  No one is really hungry so we are skipping dinner for some rest.  

Jack's favorite thing yesterday was: how great a spot we had to get a picture of the Hollywood sign.  He enjoyed seeing the Dolby and Chinese theater.


No comments:

California Day 6

 5/23/24 I'm writing this the next day as I was too tired last night.   Yesterday was ok.   We left our Airbnb in LA around 8:30 and hea...