Wednesday, August 29, 2018

8/29/18 - Yellowstone Trip – Day 5


I think I’ve killed them.  Both Mama and Jack may be crying for mercy at this point – Jack said, and I quote “this vacation is kicking my ass.”   I’m trying not to laugh, really, but you can’t come to a place such as this and just be lazy – you have to go – you have to see – you have to experience it.   That being said, I relented at 5 and we came back to the hotel for a bit, skipping a few things on the plan.  I had us planned to be out till closer to 9, but I may have been feed to a Bear if I said that out loud this afternoon.

All that being said, today was wonderful.   We started the day off with breakfast at a local place called Old Town Café.   The gentleman who waited on us was extremely nice and outgoing.  Breakfast was delicious, filling and it didn’t break the bank so win!   They were advertising a huckleberry drink that is alcoholic.  I’ve never had huckleberry’s before and asked him about the berry itself.  He gave us a miniature lesson on what they taste like and how they are harvested.  Did you know they can’t seem to cultivate them to grow outside of the wild?  I found that fascinating.
After dinner we headed into the park intent on hitting a scenic drive.  However, before we even were in the park 5 minutes there was a bison right beside the road.   We stopped and took lots and lots of pictures.     They are so massive! 

After the picture fest we headed in to do the Firehole Canyon scenic drive and to see Firehole falls.   We were able to climb down a bit and explore the falls which was cool.  I love getting out in it vs. staring at it from a guard rail.    The falls aren’t necessarily high, but they are massive and the raging.   You can’t hardly talk over the roar of them and the way they snake through the canyon is impressive.    And the views of the overall scenery…  I have no words.

We then headed on to Fountain Paint Pot which has a ½ mile loop you can walk around to see a very unique landscape filled with mud pits, boiling water pits and rocks in formation.  It was colorful and alien.  There were dead trees here and there in the landscape that just added an even more alien feel to it.     I could see a Star Trek episode being filmed here…

We then went to see the Mid-Way Geyser Basin and walked the mile loop around it.   Again, extremely colorful pits of boiling water with steam rolling off of them.  Like walking into a sauna if the wind blows it your way.   Which is a unique feeling given the wind itself is cold… odd to describe, but you are cold, then in a sauna, then cold again with the wind that will flat bowl you down sometimes.  The ground is a rainbow of oranges, yellows, greens, whites… and the water is so clear in places it’s see through.  It looks blue or turquoise depending on the pool.    It is so unique.  While I enjoyed them, I wouldn’t want to come back.  Once you’ve seen them – you’ve seen them.  

Whereas the area I saw in the Grand Tetons I could stare at for days, weeks, heck years….
After Mid-Way we went up to the Old Faithful area and grabbed lunch at a fast food grill area they have.  I ate a hotdog and some chips, nothing fancy, but it was filling.   This is what I am used to at national parks… Yellowstone and the other parks want to take a lesson from its sister the GT 😊

After lunch we went and waited for Old Faithful.  We only had to wait about 20 minutes and she blew her top as expected.  It was neat, but I don’t know, not all that and a bag of chips for me.  Maybe, because I’ve seen it on TV so many times?  Maybe because I knew exactly what to expect?   Not sure.  I can say I’ve seen it and the views around it were astounding.

After watching the old girl blow we headed on to the West Thumb Geyser Basin.   This one is unique in that it backs up to a lake with snow covered mountains on the other side.  It was gorgeous.   We enjoyed walking around taking pictures and visiting.   This was another 2/3 of a mile…   While walking we saw three really interesting things.   

  1. A lone read headed duck in the lake fishing.  We enjoyed watching him for quite some time.  
  2. Bubbling pools at the edge of the river… Picture a boiling pool of water, a pristine, clear lake and a snow-covered mountain all in the same photograph!   
  3. Three Pronghorn came up, 1 a baby, and started drinking the water and eating in the middle of the walk way.   We spent over 30 minutes just photographing them and could have spent an hour or more taking pictures as they were laying down in the field by time we left.   I mean they were no more than 20 feet away, surrounded by humans that they walked in the middle of and did not care.  It was awesome!

Once we made it back to the car it was 5 PM and everyone, including myself, was dragging a bit.   So, I asked the question – do you want to finish our plans or go back to the hotel.  They both yelled hotel!   I could have taken a 20-minute power nap and kept going, but we are here to enjoy ourselves not kill ourselves, so we drove the hour or so back to the hotel and rested.

After an hour or so we headed to dinner.  We ate at the Old Town Café again because they were great this AM and because Mama wanted to play with the slots.   The same waiter was there and immediately greeted us.  He remembered us from this morning which was a pleasant surprise.  He apparently is married into the family that owns it which is why he was there so long today.  We came in this morning at 7:45 and by this time it was close to 8 PM.  

Dinner was ok, I’ve had better, but it was good and not overly expensive which was nice.  However, the service was really good, and they had huckleberry salad dressing and ice cream.  I had both and loved both!!!!   I need to find some of this stuff to take home with me – it is so good.

Now we are back at the apartment and everyone is going to bed early.   We missed out on the Gull Point Drive, Yellowstone Lake Hotel, Fishing Bridge and the Lake Butte Lookout.    Next time I hope I can squeeze these back in.   This trip has made me want an RV so bad.  One I can live in for 6 months and just go from place to place.   Spend a month and then move on.    Maybe we will figure out how to do this in a few years…. I’m going to start planning now!

Tomorrow is another day of me trying to squeeze ever moment I can in, so I guess I’ll go to sleep myself.   Hope all is well with you blogland, God Bless.



No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...