Monday, September 10, 2012

Italy Journal - Day 1

9/2/12

Well it is my first journal in Italy. It technically is a journal of two days for our journey began yesterday at 8 am.

We got up and went and had a nice breakfast @ Sunrise Grill; our new favorite place. We then made our way to the Augusta Airport. Our flight was scheduled to leave at nooon, but we arrived super early at 9:30. I'm always ok being somewhat early, but never late. We read, talked and waited. Luckily the plane left on time w/o incident and we were on our way. The flight from Augusta to Atlanta was uneventful and took right at an hour, gate to gate.

We de-boarded in Atlanta and went in hunt of the new International gate. It all went really smooth and then we decided to grab some lunch given the 3 hour layover. We went into the eating area and I got a little panicky - like I can in crowds; this typically makes me whinny and bitchy, lovely eh? We found a table off to the side and Jack told me to go get my food while he minded the bags. I went to Panda Express and really couldn't see for the crowd of peps - which made me edgy to begin within so I went back and told Jack "I want chow-main and on the entree surprise me." Chow main was the side dish. I also tol him I wanted a spring roll; so he goes off.

Mama comes back with her food and I'm sitting there relating to her that I could eat a horse when Jack comes back - he had 1 plate and this itty bitty box plus 2 drinks. I asked him "where is mine" and he said "this is it - thought we would share and if you want more I'll go back". Now keep in mind I'm bitchy and whinny at this point. I felt so deflated, he didn't get me any food. No of course he had and his way was really a better idea, but I didn't see it that way at the time. I was so irritated. It seems so silly now, and he really did do what was best, but there I was; eating my "share" of the food which had no chow-mein on it growling from the inside and hungry. He asked if I wanted anything more, but hell would have frozen over 1st so I said no. WE finished eating lunch - I guess - and went to the terminal to wait. I ate a box of our raisin reserves, go carry-on bags.

We then boarded the plane for our 9 hour flight to Rome, about 2 hours in I realized I was a bitch and apologized for such... The plane ride was very uncomfortable and I was seated between Jack and Mama with no room, but we are here now and looking back it wasn't that bad.

Once we arrived in Italy we swept through customs with no problem. He barely even glanced at my passport... and found our tour company. We then drove to the hotel where we met our tour guide Maria. She gave us some basic info, got us our rooms and set us free until 5 pm.

Now we thought we would go directly to sleep, but another couple (Doug & Carol) on the tour said the best way to get through jet lag was to push through and it made sense, so we did. We went upstairs to our room, got a shower, etc... and headed out. The three of us alone in Italy. It was fun, we wandered to see a castle (St. Angelo). We wondered along the bridge and took pictures of the statures. We said no to street vender's and enjoyed the whether. It rained on us a little, but it was all good.

By this time it was 1 pm and we were all really dog tired so we decided to wonder back to the hotel. I was also starving so we dropped Mama at the hotel, given she didn't want to go eat, and we went for food. We at eat this nice place - I felt odd as we just wanted a light meal to hold us over so we split a lasagna. It was good, not like the kind we at a home at all, cheesier/lighter and yummy. We then came back to the hotel and took a nap.

We woke up at 4 pm and got dressed, then went and officially met our group. We stat through a brief 45 minute intro and then headed to a nice dinner. We sat with an Australian Couple who were nice. The good was also good - mostly.

1st course, meet and cheese tray = ok, Second Course - Some Red Sauce Pasta & Green Sauce Pasta - Yummy, 3rd Course - Pork and Spinach with Salad = not so good, Desert - Berry Pie w/ boisenberries = Ick. But the experience was nice. We then went on a lighted tour of the city. Everything is so pretty with all of the old architecture. Much of it we will see tomorrow, but we did get to go see the Fountain of Trevi which was crowded but gorgeous. It was really a great day or well 2 days. Now I need my rest so I can start tomorrow fresh - so g'night.

End Journal 9/2/12

After thoughts - Just as a note the journal so I will remember.

* The tour guide - Maria - she was terrific throughout the tour. I really enjoyed her. She was always happy and just well great at what she did.

** Driving in Italy is crazy, they obey no laws and the streets are really tight. Our driver was awesome, however when he would get really close to something that she would see from the front she would say "oops" or "mama mia" it was so cute.

*** Cokes are expensive - between 1 and 6 Euros (1 Euro = 1.2 Dollars). Everything is more expensive over there. Their cost of living is outrageous; especially in Venice.

**** On Day 1 a guy at the Fountain of Trevi a guy offered to take our picture, he had a nice camera so I let him (My judge to see if they are going to run off with it), but Jack didn't trust him and watched him with his eye while we were getting a shot kissing (funny pic) and true enough, he handed the camera back to us and then wanted to get a picture we would "pay him for" - umm - no.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...